outside seam tape

Donaven

New member
Hi Guys,

I bought a second hand yak and decided that I wanted to have it resprayed. so I had it rubbed down and resprayed last weekend. Now I don't know where I can get the outside seam tape. any advise??

please guys any help would really be appreciated, would like to have this done this weekend^^..

will post before and after pics when im done
 
Donovan, check up on Harveys Composites in Riverside industrial Park - you'll get everything you need from there.

The best tape to get is the 30mm wide one - I use normal GP resin to bond it to the seam, and then put a topcoat of poolcoat which is more of a gel and gives a smoother, more professional finish.

The way I do it is to get masking tape the same diameter as the glass fibre tape. I run the first strip of tape exactly where I want the glass to be (to be removed later). I then run a strip of masking tape (insulation tape works better) on either side of the first strip to form a decent boundary. I then remove the middle strip.

Using a paint brush I'll make a fairly weak GP resin mix (you want it to take long to cure, so don't go hot at all. I'll paint along the sanded and prepared seam before putting the glass tape on, and then saturate the tape until totally clear and no bubbles show. I do about a meter at a time which makes it manageable. The most important parts to be extra careful on are along the sides of the seat - if a ski is going to buckle, it's between the seat and the back hatch, so you want your seam done right here.

I do one side at a time, the resin should take around 30mins to gel and set so you can get stuck into the other side then. The tricky parts are the sharp bends at the front and back of the boat. I end my side seam a few cm from the bend and do these last. I make a hotter mix for the sides and use short pieces of tape that I soak in resin before putting in place, a little section of that greased baking paper works wonders if taped and held over the edges to keep them from lifting.

Once the GP resin is set (about 1 hour or so) I'll paint on some gel coat to give that highly waxed smooth coat. There's nothing worse than rough glass running up against your leg when dragging the ski off the water after a paddle.

Hope this helps, if you can't find the tape give me a shout, I can get from Pope's canoes here in Pmb.
 

Donaven

New member
Thanks so much aperfectimperfection. Great explanation im sure it will help a lot of other sealiners who would want to attempt refurbishing their kayak themselves t(((up((

I am going to give Harveys a call now to order the gel coat:breakd:. When I sanded the yak down I did the glass and resin seam. I just needed the black gel stuff to finish off the seam and give the yak a clean look.

Do you have the name of this product? and howmuch should I purchase to do my kayak?
 
Don, ask for poolcoat - it's very thick so you will quite easily go through half a litre on a supalight size ski. When doing surfskis that are a bit longer (6m) iI use just under a litre. Remember to get acetone, catalyst and latex gloves.

And definitely get some Surf washing powder. Rub it on your hands after using glass and you won't itch. Much.
 

Donaven

New member
:thankie I cant wait to have my ski finished and ready to hit the water.. hopefully we will cross paths on the deep blue one day::tight:::slr::
 

Steady

Member
All this talk of fibreglass and I thought a Yak was a plastic sit-on-top! Must be glass if it's being resprayed.

Anyway, for fibreglass craft....

The "seam" tape usually used is 25mm tape, available from all suppliers of fibreglass, as well as canoe, kayak and ski manufacturers. 25 mm works well as you use 25mm masking tape, the painters one, lay down the masking tape where the seam tape will go. Place a layer above and below this tape, remove the centre line of masking tape, use the wrong tape and the layer of glue stays behind on your ski, and sand the area with water paper, 220 grit will do. Mix resin and catalyst and paint on boat then apply tape dry and then wet the tape out with resin. Remove masking tape immediately. When dry sand the resin of the tape lightly, using a sanding machine and 80 grit paper. You need to get this smooth. Re-apply the masking tape above and below the seam tape and paint over with gelcoat/catalyst of your colour choice, remove masking tape straight away. A light 220 water paper sanding and polishing will give you a factory finish.

Wash brush with acetone, use disposable gloves available from Dischem. Wear long sleeve t-shirt, overalls and long pants as well as leather gloves, hat, safety goggles and a buff/scarf on the face when grinding/sanding. A hot shower with soap and a scrunchie, that orange bag thing your wife uses in the bath will remove fibreglass from your skin.
 

Savina

New member
Good advice here!
I also have a 2nd hand stealth that is leaking at the seat seam when stored upside down. As far as I can see it it only this spot that may need repairs.
I will attempt this repair.

Hey Donaven, How did your refurb turn out?
 
Top