Okay Guys, I left the office early today and he

esatpil

Senior Member
Okay Guys,

I left the office early today and headed to a pub here in Uganda called "Just Kicking"

Anyways a few of my buddies,some from SA,UK and more recently I met a very experienced fly and surf fisherman from the USA who joined us.

Nevertheless I was talking about this Saltwater Drop Shot and the guys burst out laughing (maybe too many beers) but they said they call it lure fishing.and I argued lure is with hard baits and these are soft baits.

Nevermind I left afterwards before I could get hammered about this topic.

Dropshot is strictly for bass fisherman they said.

Whats the deal,are we South Africans inventing a new name for an old way of fishing?

Seems like its been done everywhere else under spinning with softbaits or lure fishing.

Thanks

 
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Esatpil - Bru, I hate to tell you, but the Yanks are right...

Myself and a few others have gone on about this bull***t name "Dropshot" in this country... its a crock, and a marketing gimmick, and its by no means new... its ancient.... The marketing Machine that is ESA and Berkley just happend to suddenly rename it as a "New" form of fishing.... its all a crock.... if you go back through the "Dropshot" posts ( Man I hate that term ) you'll see plenty of us bitching and maoning about the name....

Real "Dropshotting" is a VERY different technique, and yes, is a bass fishing technique....

Don't limit yourself to bull***** names and what not of certain kinds of angling or anyone telling you " Thats not right, you can't use that lure with that riod ect etc" or even worse" Thats not dropshotting, you have to use Berkley this, Firleine that etc etc/..." Its all bollocks... Its Lure fishing, plain and SIMPLE!!!
 

esatpil

Senior Member
Well you know as a proud South African,I said you Yankees always wanna be different and I guess we the same.

Take Jerky and Biltong.I laughed him off calling him a Jerky:D  American.

Nevertheless I was told to research a drop shot rig which obviously I have done before and come up with most hit on Texas rig which if you read only associates drop shot with bass which obviously does not look like a jighead with a softbait.

So my take on the whole thing is that what we called Drop Shot is Lure Spin Fishing but hey lets call it whatever we want too.

Dont care as long as we catch fish.

Anyone tried that Texas Rig in Saltwater,seems like a Palomar Knot with a weight at the end with a Softbait on the hook.

 

 
 
G

Guest

Guest
Dropshotting sure does exist in the saltwater enviornment in So. California, USA.  A number of surffishermen saw the method used in Japan & brought it home with them a few years ago.  While mainly used by freshwater bass types, it is a killer for surffish when you find bait boiling.  It in no way resembles hard lure or jerkbait fishing as used here.

The rigging used here is very simple, 6-10 Lb. braided line with 8-12 Lb flouro leader of 3-6 feet long.  A soft plastic Senko, worm or other soft plastic lure is tied directly against the leader using a Palomar knot ( a 2nd or 3rd lure can also be added).  A small bell ( or similar ) sinker just heavy enough to hold bottom is tied to the end of the leader.  The leader & line are joined by a Uni to Uni knot, no hardware ( swivel) is used in the rig.

In this area, it is mainly used for Halibut, Croaker & larger Surfpearch.  It works like nothing else!  But as I mentioned, it works best when you have visual indications of bait in the area that is being pursued by gamefish ( boils, diving Terns or even jumping gamefish)
 

BigBass

Sealiner
Nepps and bajanet are right!

Why in the world someone would want to call saltwater spinning/ lure angling "dropshot" is way "off" and just causes confusion ...

As Nepps said real dropshot is a totally different technique originating with Bass anglers ...

bajanet explained the real dropshot technique: comprising a sinker at the bottom with the hook carrying a small soft plastic lure some way up (hook tied right up against the line with a palomar knot).

The real dropshot rig and technique works well when you want to "dance" the lure some way off the bottom in the same place to trigger strikes ...

Now if only we could EDCUCATE the blokes from ESA!

While I'm on the subject, there is no such word as "CONSERVATE" as in ESA's slogan ("Educate ... Innovate ... Conservate ..."). The correct word is "conserve" (verb) or "conservation" (noun). So, ESA uses a word not found in the dictionary (trust me!) and also confuses the real dropshot technique ...  :headb

But perhaps I'm being a bit picky ...

PS. I'll bet at least 63% of people reading this post checked their dictionaries :woohoo!
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
[color=#006600]BigBass[/color] wrote:
PS. I'll bet at least 63% of people reading this post checked their dictionaries :woohoo!

BB - Did you know that 74.6% of of all statistics are made up on the spot ?;)

 

Ja this "Dropshot" spiel is a big misnomer and quite confusing... but at least its got alot of people into light tackle angling which is great.

 

As to "Conservate" ....well funnily enough Raymond has just today touched on the word and the topic  of it not being an actual word in the ESA post in teh Saltwater section, and has acknowledged that its not a real word.... but its an idea, and it sounds nice, which I'm sure suits the sponsors and marketing machine...

 

Hell, if it gets people thinking more about looking after our natural resources, they can conservate all they like, and I'll probably be conservating too wherever I go!!:D:temp:
 

BigBass

Sealiner
Ja, Nepps, I confess made up my "stat" on the spot :D!

Thanks, I'll read the other post about ESA you refer to - did not see it yet ...

Must also confess I DO watch ESA!
 

killer fish

New member
DAMIT!!!

I COULD HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A WEALTHY FISHERMAN HAD I PERSEVERED WITH MY BASS EQUIPMENT.....RUBBER WORMS, FLUKES RAPALAS,WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND FISHING THE THEN FULL OF FISH UMGENI RIVER. JUST LOST INTEREST AS I COULD NOT RAISE A STRIKE.

WHEN I 1ST HEARD OF THIS DROPSHOT THING MY IMEDIATE THOUGHTS WAS HEY THIS IS "GLORYFIED" BASS FISHING.

WELL I'VE SINCE THEN BOUGHT AN OUTFIT AND YIP IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF TIME B4 I CAUGHT MY 1ST FISH ON "D" SHOT.

AS LONG AS IT CATCHES A FISH OR TO I'M HAPPY

HAPPY DDDDDD SHOTING.

KILLER
 
Top