need help with traces

flea

New member
hey guys...

I've been using braid (white braid) for my hook lines on my traces but have been reading up on using light tackle for hook lines as its better when the fish picks it up. i was just wondering if the braid makes a big difference with regards to this?

also what thickness line should i be using as the main leader line on the trace?

your advice will be greatly appreciated...
 

PI

Senior Member
I cant comment on the braid questions, but for the rest I would say

Main Line 7 lb for social or 5lb for competitive angling with a 18 - 22lb for a leader. For my main line I have HI Visibility xx Line and for my leader I have 18lb Hi Abrassion line.

Hope it helps.

PI
 
flea wrote:
also what thickness line should i be using as the main leader line on the trace?
 

Are you refering to the shaft line of the TRACE or the leader line on your REEL?

Hooklinks should be 7lb and the shaft line (main leader line?) similar to the leader line on your reels. I use 18lb.

Mainline on the reel is 5lb (helps with casting baits to distance) and the leader line is 18lb (same as on the trace).
 

Naruto

Sealiner
My peg mate used braid as hooklinks now recently but soon changed when he realised these keep tangling and untangling takes forever and the bites are less.
 

CARP1

Sealiner
I use 5lb High Visibility as my main fishing line,17lb XX Brown as my leader and and main trace line and 7lb hooklines.

Ive never had any trouble with these.
 

flea

New member
thanks guys, ive just made new traces using high visisbility 7lb line for hook lines and it seems better.

should be fishing this weekend so i can test this out.
 

Naruto

Sealiner
flea wrote:
thanks guys, ive just made new traces using high visisbility 7lb line for hook lines and it seems better.

should be fishing this weekend so i can test this out.
The hi-viz is normally used for main line. Hooklinks, leader and main trace lines should rather not be hi-vis as this can deter fish from biting. Some guys tie a piece of hi-viz as part of the leader as this helps in following the fish when netting it.

This is how my traces look:http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=47343&forum_id=102
 

Attachments

  • leader.jpg
    leader.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 190

CARP1

Sealiner
Naruto struggles to see line going into the water 4 metres in front of him.Time to trade in the glasses for a dog......?   LOL!!!!!!!!

Just joking.Thats the reason why Im fishing the Hi-Vis,but I still prefer my brown XX for leader.
 

Naruto

Sealiner
Carp1, my setup is as follows: 5lbs XX Platinum Plus mainline, 17lbs XX brown leader and trace main line, 7lbs XX legend hooklinks.
Only use hi-vis occasionally when fishing at night as a mianline and nowhere near my traces. The pic above is how some guys like Enigma do it sometimes: http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=63627&forum_id=80
 

CARP1

Sealiner
Ek trek net jou been,ou maat.Daai Hi-Vis is maar 'n beaut in die aand.

Ek het my hoeklyntjies nou verander na Diamond 0.20.Baie soepel lyn,die kleur maak sin in die water en die 8.8lb
 

Naruto

Sealiner
Ek trek maar net terug haha :fbash

Daai hi-viz gaan lekker werk as ons daai monsters by Bloemhof gaan aankeer. Sal help om te sien waar die deel is wat byt! :ssswim:
 

CARP1

Sealiner
As ek na daai pics van Enigma kyk sal ek sommer die scuba-gear saamvat.....ry hom bloots,pappie.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Naruto

Sealiner
CARP1 wrote:
As ek na daai pics van Enigma kyk sal ek sommer die scuba-gear saamvat.....ry hom bloots,pappie.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
As jy weer sien is jy baber kos! Ek dink ek skrik my as af as daai 20kg ding die eerste keer kop wys in die nag so 1m van my af!
 

fishy_fishy

Sealiner
Good Evening Guys

I'm struggling to understand why only a 7lb line is used as the main line. Doesn't this snap easily? Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the setup mentioned previously - I need to understand it for me to implement it.:doh

I've been fishing with a 12lb line for everything....obviously, after reading this post i am doing something wrong. HELP
 

Naruto

Sealiner
Nothing wrong with 12lbs main line. If I do social I would even use 14lbs line. The 7lbs or 5lbs setup is mostly for distance casting. We do comps and sometimes that extra 5-10m on a cast from the bank(no wading allowed for casting) can make a huge difference. Bare in mind that the hooklinks are also low breaking strain. The theory is that the hooklink should break before anything else leaving only a small piece of line in the water. I very seldom loose any mainline in the water.
 
Top