Mielie bombs

Barbelman

New member
I know everyone uses them. But I do want to ask, you can say, stupid question.
Firstly, they are there to make a ''voerplek''. Right? Is this their only purpose? So lets say you are not the most accurate caster out there. Especially if you need to cast as far as possible in heavy winds. You will not land your bait in nearly the same spot. Does the use of mielie bombs even make sense then? Won't you catch the same number of fishes whether you catch with or without them?

Any opinions and or advice will be appreciated. I know some will say learn to cast. But I want to know the effectiveness of mielie bombs if you can't cast to save your life. Not me, but some friends, relatives, etc. Really its not me lol.
 

Phish

New member
Hi Barbelman,

From my understanding, the purpose of a "bomb" is as follows:-

(i) To create a voerplek;

(ii) To give your trace (strop) weight so that it can be cast further - same distance cannot be achieved with just the spring, two hooks and foaties or swd;

(iii) The "bomb" can be laced with attractants - dips and powders that dissolve and disperse in water thus creating a scent trail that attracts / directs fish to your bait. This improves your bite rate and lessens your waiting time for a bite;

(iv) The voerplek that is created will most probably attract more than one fish to your bait and the more fish present will result in "competition" between the fish - the more fish the greater the competition - they compete to feed and may result in the fish throwing caution to the wind resulting in an aggressive bite and hookup. There is also a "pecking order" amongst fish and when there is more than one fish around your bait, it is very possible that the big bully in the shoal will chase off all comers and and take your bait resulting in your personal best :dban:;

(v)   Sometimes you get "shy" fish that spook easily when it feels weight on the trace when it picks up the bait - so when using a bomb, you have the neccessary weight to make a long cast and when the bomb disentegrates / dissolves the weight of the trace is neutralised resulting in a spooky fish picking up a bait, feeling comfortable, and then moving off resulting in a bite and hook up.

If all of this fails, you can use dynamite :fbash.

:fswim

Phish
 

Barbelman

New member
Thanks for the answer.
May I ask what is your favourite dip you put on your bombs? If it is your secret, I will understand::respekt:
 

Phish

New member
I have no favourite dips but as a rule of thumb, on warm clear days (warm water) I use fruity, sweet flavours like pink sweets, raspberry, tutti fruity, caramel, honey, vanilla and on overcast, cloudy and cool days (cool to cold water)I use duiwelsdrek, garlic, tcp, cinnamon, fx, perdeby.

I incorporate honey & custard powder + vanilla essence in my bombs.

There are no hard and fast rules to dips and baits when it comes to fishing but I do take note of what works and results in bites and catches in different conditions and I try to reproduce baits and dips to suit the different conditions. Keep a note of various conditions and what combos resulted in hookups.   
 

Barbelman

New member
So you put 3 different items in your bombs. I use mine plain, but only dip the bait. Thanks for sharing your secret, I hope some others will also.
 
Top