McCarthy versus Berkely. Who wins?

AD97

Senior Member
This is going to be interesting, just bought a packet of McCarthy, gonna try hopefully next weekend.
 

ziggy

Member
McCarthy worms? I tried them - but nowhere near as effective as Berkley Camo worm.

Not tried the other lures though - would be nice to konw who has and what success compared to Berkley
 

Tristar

Banned
McArthy and those other new "Size doesnt matter, its how you waggle your tail thingies".

From what weve learned about Berkley Australia's business ethics they can keep their Berkley there and feed them to or catch Kangaroo's with them for all I care.

Like I will out of principle not buy Nestle products again for doing business with the demon Mugabe regime, I will never buy or recommend Berkley again.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Rather look at the pros and cons of both products from a fishing point of view. I don't gain financially from either, so for me it was easy from the start.

I have been recommending Mcarthy for a very long time, while everyone screamed Berkley. But people tend to follow what they see on TV, now that everyone sees Mcarthy on TV now they start believing, it's funny how that works hey.

I said Mcarthy for a few reasons ...
- good price / packet
- more soft plastics / packet
- exceptional quality of product
- small yet VERY EFFECTIVE range
- the RIGHT colours and combinations

And then there is also the fact that Mr Mcarthy is very APPROCABLE, I have spoken to him on many occasions, he listens when people talk, be it good or bad, and he's always open to suggestions. He also doesn't suffer from the "why should I listen to the "small guys" syndrome !!! And then ofcourse he whole heartedly SUPPORTS SEALINE.

Mcarthy is still growing, give Mr Mcarthy time, you anglers will be amazed in the not too distant future.

I have never really been against Berkley, I have LOTS of their products, from rods to reels to lures to lines and even plastics, my favourite will always be the camo worms, I just think they are riding the anglers, I mean have you seen their product range, IT'S HUGE, but in this country, only a tenth of their range ACTUALLY CATCHES FISH. And then there is the "we don't deal with the small guys" issue ...

Seems I wasn't wrong about Mcarthy...
 

shagnrelease

Sealiner
Mcarthy is from SA, so support them.

besides who has concrete proof that either are better then the other??

If you dont have it in front of a fish they wont eat either of them!!

sometimes we try make things more complicated than what they really are.
 

Andre Laas

Sealiner
I am also all for supporting the local product, and the MCarthy product is well worth supporting!

There is however just one thing. Berkley has got their attractant juice formula right. I have fished the "camo worm" type lures from all three major contenders, and Berkley came out tops. I also got hold of plain unscented plastic camo worm lookalikes, which scented in the gulp juice. This worked almost as good as the original berkley, and better than the rest. My solution, I buy the tub of berkley camo worm (ouch!) and then use the gulp juice as a "dip" for all my other soft plastics.

As far as using soft plastics to entice reaction strikes based solely on movement, the Mcarthy range is tops, affordable and South African! They also got their colors right for local conditions!

The best thing I found recently is that you can buy some of the mcarthy softbaits individually at Kingfisher...now that is a great idea cos I can try out a variety and only buy bulk of the ones that i find confidence in. I just wish that you could get the entire range like this!!!!!!
 

neilg

Sealiner
Critter wrote:
There is however just one thing. Berkley has got their attractant juice formula right. I have fished the "camo worm" type lures from all three major contenders, and Berkley came out tops. I also got hold of plain unscented plastic camo worm lookalikes, which scented in the gulp juice. This worked almost as good as the original berkley, and better than the rest. My solution, I buy the tub of berkley camo worm (ouch!) and then use the gulp juice as a "dip" for all my other soft plastics.

I do EXACTLY the same

btw you can also buy the juice in bottles ...
 
Top