mazeppa

farmer

New member
Hi

I would love to get some advice on artifical lures.

I am going to Mazeppa for the first time at the end of the month.

What lures should I use for Garrick and cob

Much app

Regards

Farmer
 

werries

Senior Member
Farmer , the best artificial lures for Garrick are the Aubrey Da Gama chisel nose plugs. You get them in wood and plastic. The sizes required for the tackle you have would be 4 and 5oz plugs. Be sure to replace the ready made up rigs with  flourocarbon line of 40-60lb. Cast them of at first light and last light of the island for best results for bigger garrick . The smaller ones tend to stay longer in the area and is big fun on lighter tackle and 2oz plugs.

For kob , use rapalas with weighted hooks and reel them in slowly for best results
 

farmer

New member
Thanks Werries

I have a few plugs, all white, will onda onda's also work for leeries.

Have you ever used some soft bait like Power bait for leeries.

I app your reply

Regards

Farmer
 

werries

Senior Member
If you have one choice  always stick to white.The onde's work for almost every fish out there so you might get small leeries on them but more likely to get some shad on them(catch them , slide or swim them for the big leeries!)

I have caught small leeries on dropshot but only in lagoon mouths(5inch  jerkshad in smelt and mackerel colours but if you can find the power pearl watermelon shad it would be 1st choice)

When are you going and where are you gonna stay?
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
I prefer the conniseur poppers in 2oz for the Garrick. You also need to move around on the island to find them as they aren't always in the same place. Cob have been coming out on paddle tail soft baits as well. If the island isn't working you can try Shark point. I am planning a trip there in the next month or 2 and I will be taking my 8ft heavy Exceller with Cardinal 704 and 8lb Fireline, I want to target Garrick and a Kob.
 

farmer

New member
Hallo Werries

Thanks for the info.

We are leaving on Tuesday 19 May.

Staying at Cliffi's place, he says the shad are running at the moment.

Regards

Edwin
 

mikealan

Member
Thanks for the tips.... we are going there for the first time first week of November...they say that the garrick should be there at that time..hope so
 
Top