Making your own Jigs

Gerhard

Sealiner
How many mould their own Jigs?

 

We have a very limited supply of jig here in UAE and Gavin invested in a couple of moulds to make our own buck tail jigs.

 

If you have any tips please share.

 

Thanks

 

Gerhard
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Gerhard - Here is a better idea mate:

Get hold of Marshie on this forum...send him a PM and get an order form from him for his Leadheads.... they are some of the best I've seen or fished with... And a bargain price too!

Otherwise search the Net for Jig moulds, there are plenty out there.

Nepps
 

Jacquesdw

Senior Member
Hi

I don't post at all but have to sound a word of caution working with molten lead. When I was in Grade 6 I made my own lead sinkers. One day I was using an old soup ladle to pour the lead in the mould, when the ladle broke (while full of lead). It fell in the pot of molten lead which splashed up with most finding its way into my one eye. It F***ing hurt. I stuck my head under a tap. When my Mom opened up my eyelid, after trimming away the fused eyebrows, all she could see was a lead eyeball. It had totally molded around my eyeball!!! It cost emergency trips to the GP and optomotrist!! My eyeball was actually blistered!! Luckily it was fine after a week with no long-term damage.

So be carefull, wear some eye protection and do it in a well-ventilated area.

Regards

Jacques
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Jaques - Wow man, scary story.... and good advice to be careful when working with molten lead.... Eye protection, a face mask, and gloves are a DEFINTE must... and make sure you are in a well ventilated area... Lead fumes are toxic!
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
Thanks for the warning.

I have done a lot of lead casting for sinkers and know how dangerous it can be.

Liquid lead is not something to play with and the fumes are worse.

Gerhard
 
Top