Looking for Splash Mermaid Kayak or similar, cash offered

Cobus Blouberg

Senior Member
I spend a lot of time in Knysna/Sedgefield/Wilderness BECAUSE of the wind in Cape Town - I hate the way wind can mess up a great day. When I am on Cape Town, most of the time is spent in Blouberg/Melkbos - wind heaven!

Anyway, I gather the ski (Splash Mermaid)is bad in the wind???

I know very little about this form of fishing and have just started reading up about it, so surely in for a hiding or two - any tips will help, so thanks.

'Actually funny, these ski's are built in another wind factory - PE...

If you are right about it being crappy in windy conditions, then it is probably the last time this boat will see Cape Town!
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
Will be very stable but a bitch to paddle. Very high as well so will catch wind.

It all depends where you want to use it, but I won't paddle that very far from land. I got caught in wind this weekend and it wasn't fun to paddle out.

Maybe tell us why you are going for the mermaid ?
 

Cobus Blouberg

Senior Member
Hi - my considerations are that it seems fairly versatile or multi-purpose, also given where I shall be using it mostly (Knysna/Swartvlei/Wilderness lagoon, Buffels Bay and Gerickes)is not too plagued by strong winds.

Plus, I already have a small petrol motor and a 40-thrust electric motor - I don't think I'll be using that much myself, but it will come in handy if my chick has to go back to the car to fetch some of the things she (Always) forgets :)

Lastly, I want to check the basics out, angling-wise, with this ski - if it works for me, I'll buy a ski for me specifically and for when I go it alone. I am an old paddle-skier and used to using the most nimble board available, so this is a bit of a sideways move, but also only a start.

One thing that is going to huck me is that you really need two people to get it onto the car roof, if you do not want to scratch the car and the boat badly. I have an Audi Allroad and even with the suspension lowered, it is still too awkward for one person to handle. Limiting.

Anyway, if the wind is not up today, I'll be giving it a first go in Gordons Bay later this afternoon - sticks all rigged already. "Voel bietjie soos 'n laaitie, nuut vir my!"
 

quiet storm

Senior Member
Hi Cobus

Hope you get lots of fun out of it.

I did and with an 3hp you can cruze. Ive been out at Langebaan and Melkbos with it and never had a problem.

I have even seen people stand on it when fly fishing, very stable.

As I have said before on this forum, never judge before you have tried it.
 

Cobus Blouberg

Senior Member
quiet storm wrote:
Hi Cobus

Hope you get lots of fun out of it.

I did and with an 3hp you can cruze. Ive been out at Langebaan and Melkbos with it and never had a problem.

I have even seen people stand on it when fly fishing, very stable.

As I have said before on this forum, never judge before you have tried it.

Thanks quiet storm - yeah, I am very positive about it and it will be put to good use, for sure.
 

Edgy

New member
Long time ....but how did you find the Mermaid? I wouldnt mind one of those to fish off Kenton on occasion theres no wind and a flat sea
 
Top