Line damage when spinning

FLUKE

Sealiner
I have a problem that when I spin with my 30H or 545GS the line gets burnt from hitting the reel frame(little burnt spots in the line). I have tried several makes of line, I have tried holding my thumb against the edge of the spool and not on the line and I have tried increasing the cast control tension. Although this has helped I still find that within 4-5 hours of spinning my line is damaged and I have to throw away about 50mtr. I am quite capable of casting and in a day seldom throw an overwind.

I have never noticed this problem when spinning with my Abu 6500.

Has anybody had this problem and what did you do to overcome it?
 

Simen

Sealiner
Fluke, just run down your set-up by me- Rod, reel, line & thickness and what weight you are throwing.
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
Thanks for the response Simen,
Blue Marlin G3 12 2-4(mostly with heavy tip), Daiwa SL X 30 SHV with ,40 Kingfisher Giant abrasion and 0,50-,60 leader about 4mtr long. On this setup I throw 1-1/2oz - 3oz spoons and poppers. For Yellowtail at Cape point I upgrade the reel to a 545GS with ,50 KFGA and a ,65 leader of 5 - 9mtr in length. On this setup I throw 3oz - 4oz spoons & poppers, sometimes 5oz. The problem is always worse when I'm throwing poppers as the line is dry (especially when fishing from high ledges). Any help will be most appreciated.
 

Simen

Sealiner
Fluke- What I think is happening here could be two things. 1st. you are fishing from a high ledge. As soon as your line starts lifting (taking the angle) to come towards your rod on top of the ledge the drag of the water (resistance) will now be less as you are busy lifting the plug or spoon out of the water. Now the line on the spool wont be wound on as tight as when you have greater water resistance. As you say maybe the last 50m. Altough you dont throw an overwind the line will tend to be more loose and loop over each other. In time you will def see small marks on the line.
2nd. Spes with a popper when retrieving to fast the popper might leave the water and at that time while winding again could slacken the line on the spool having the same result as explained above.
When casting does it not sometimes sound as if a overwind wants to form but by applying a bit more thumb pressure this sound goes away and the cast is normal?
Let me know, I will in the mean time contact a buddy of mine who does a lot of spinning and get his views on this.
 

Simen

Sealiner
Fluke- got some more answers to your problem. Check and see if one of the guides do not have a hairline crack in it. Test this by pulling a stocking ( sykous ) through the eye, if it hooks there is a crack. Also when spooning or plugging you could easily do a 100 casts in a day. Say you cast 60m. That is 60 x 100 x 2 ( cast out and reel in )=12000m of friction that went through the guides.
The KFGA has a Polymer coating which could start peeling after so many casts.
Suggestion- should your guides be okay, maybe think of trying a diff line.
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
The guides are ok, the line seems to be hitting the reel frame when I'm casting. I don't get an overwind starting but I definitely have one or 2 coils coming off loosely. I have 2 suspicions, 1) my casting action combined with the fact that I normally cast with the cast control set at its loosest. 2) my leader knot is causing the spoon to slow as it passes through the eyes while the spool is accelerating, thereby causing a few loose coils for a while. I started holding my thumb on the side of the spool to control the cast as this puts tension on the line. When your thumb is on the line it forces the loop to lift on the back of the spool and hit the foot plate. This only helps for the second half of my cast as when I cast I don't have my thumb on the spool for a while after I release the cast. This added to the leader knot passing through the eyes at the same time is probably the cause of the problem but How do I overcome this? I have to use a leader as I am fishing ,40mm around rocks. I use a Bimini twist with uni-knots to join my leader to the main line. Is there perhaps a better knot combination that I could use. My rod has 10mm eyes so they should be big enough but the leader knot does hit quite hard at times.
I will also experiment with other lines, Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!!
 

Simen

Sealiner
Your leaderline thickness is ok, also the knots you are using.I would like to make the following suggestions. Change your leader knot to a spider hitch on your mainline and then do a yucutan to tie the leader on. Some will disagree with the strengh of this, but this has never let me down and this is only an experiment to solve your problem. Secondly decrease the line capacity on your spool a little ( not to hamper casting, only do this if your spool is full to the max), 3rd decrease your leader length to your cast drop ( tip to spoon ) and only have about 4 turns on your spool.
The next time you go casting do your normal thing, but say on your 5th or 6th cast dont worry about the action of the spoon or popper but concentrate to wind your line tight and evenly on the spool. cast again and see if there is a difference. Lets try this before we go to testing other lines.Last question-What size weight ( sinker ) do you usually fish with when casting bait?
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
On this outfit with heavy tip I throw a 3oz with small baits or a 4oz grab with bait clip for bigger baits in the surf. I have a G3 14 4-6 with 50H for heavier stuff, up to 6oz with whole sardine. Thanks I will try reducing the leader length so that it doesn't pass through the guides and see if this helps.
 

Foxhat

Senior Member
I throw spoon a lot and have had the same problem with nearly all lines except maxima. If you using a leader, fish 12,5 kg ultra green and for straight line 17kg ultra green. I promise you the problem will disappear, and you won't throw away your lures.

If you want a cheaper line which is nearly as good, spin with "spin sport" clear.
"Bayers perlon" is also not too bad, but doesn't last for years like the maxima does.

Nothing else works, I've spent thousands on line just to prove this lesson to myself.
 

Simen

Sealiner
Fluke, sorry small misunderstandind- You will still have the leader passing through the guides- just make it shorter meaning that when you are ready to cast you only have 3 or 4 coils of your leader on your spool.
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
I'll try the Maxima, I had always thought it would be worse because it's hard. Having said that the guys at Rooikrans that use maxima never seem to have line problems despite the line reguarly lifting on the spool and hitting the reel frame.
 
Top