Light Equipment Surf

RaymondW

New member
Hi guys...

I want to try out light tackle angling with artificial bait from the surf targeting Kob, Shad, Leerie and so on....  I'm looking for suggestions on what equipment to get.

If possible I'd like to limit the budget +-R1500 for rod & reel and R500 for spoons, lures, etc.

I've been looking at a Exceler 4000 Plus, but was warned against the non-return bearing on the handle... (if that makes sense!).  Rod wise I fancy the 10ft Loomis 3oz Medium (very well priced).

Any suggestions???
 

roland

Sealiner
Well, cant go wrong with that rod. Have a peek at the penn grinders. I have a setup in the classified section, might be a bit light tho.


Just male sure its the spinning version with the longer butt
 

RaymondW

New member
Thx Roland.

What Penn would you suggest?  Had a look at the sargus yesterday... Looks nice but the shop assistant said he would go with a Exceler.  Obviously its matter of personal choice, but I'm still too uninformed to make that choice.  Need an "experts" guidance...:)  The loomis is a spinning rod with the longer butt...
 

The Moose

Senior Member
Rods to Look at:

Shimano Vengeance 8ft (803)
Daiwa Exceler 9ft, 9'6ft XXXH
Daiwa Megaforce 9ft XXH
Sensation Passion Stick 9ft XXH

Reels:

Shimano Slade 4000
Shimano Symetre 4000
Shimano Sahara 4000(Coming Soon)
Daiwa Regal 3000
Daiwa Procaster 3000
Daiwa Exceler 3000
Quantum Boca PTs 30
 

HP

Senior Member
Hi RaymondW,

I was looking at a similar setup and funny enough one of the guys at the local store said that I should also consider the Exceler rather than the Sargus. I paired the Exceler 9ft xxhfs with the exceler 4000E, set me back about R1500. Feels great and can't wait to give it a go. I really like the guides on the Loomis, just couldn't find a 9ft anywhere.

HP
 

HP

Senior Member
I was torn between the exceler and loomis. I don't think there is a 10ft in the exceler range and the longest loomis spinning rod I could find was 8ft. So ended up getting the 9ft exceler. I am not sure if there will be a considerable difference in casting distance between a 9ft & 10ft rod. The 9ft xxhfs exceler is rated 20 - 70grams so it gives me a nice range of weights I can cast, thus I am not limited to casting heavy lures in the surf which might be the case with a 10ft. In the end it is up to personal preference I suppose.
 

roland

Sealiner
hope i can help. im using my 10ft loomis for both spinning and scratching. it cast a 3oz plug or spoon a mile , i also have the 8ft vengeance which is also rated 3oz , but i personally feel 3oz is a bit over rated. 2oz cast more comfortable than a 3.




my next setup (hopeully) must be :

ugly stick xxh 9ft
shimano stradic 4000
and some 20lb viperbraid

(eendag wanneer ek my skoene self kan vasmaak :) )


haven't caught anything of note yet on the vengeance to test its pulling power and see what backbone it has, but man , i can tell u that loomis has backbone. pulled some bluerays and kob on it with ease.



the reel. i also like the sargus, but have the powerspin, 6000 and 3000 and the do the job for me. some one on sealine say that when u buy the exceller u have to grease it before use? its also a nice reel.
 

roland

Sealiner
oh and the 9ft exceler also a nice rod. i had the xh. pulled a 50cm catface rockod in the rocks with it lol.
 

RaymondW

New member
I had a look at the stradic yesterday... man, what a piece of engineering!!!

a bit steep for my budget, though...

I think my mind's made up on the Loomis 10ft and the exceler 4000 then.
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
They guy's that fish with PENN please tell me where in SA do u get spair's frm. . . I have custome's that are dieing to get spair's...

Bud i fully back the Exceller 4000 E Plus any day also have a look at the Daiwa Coastal 4000. . . .:) cheer'z chap's
 
Top