Kob 50 Kg ???

marbe

New member
I was busy pumping prawns at Stilbaai when 2 Sea fisheries chaps came to ask for our permits. As it was our first time fishing from kayaks at Stilbaai I asked them some advice. According to them there was a chap in the past holiday catching some nice red fish between the harbor and the point and that he also caught a 53 kg kabeljou. The fish was to big for the yak and a rubber-duck came to his assistance and helped. Do any body have more info on this? because if its true, it will be AMAZING.
 

JG Swart

Senior Member
Heard from a guy at Jongensfontein that caught a 50kg kabbeljou and towed it back to the beach. As he got in the surf zone the kabbeljou got some life back. Long story short. He had to fight his kayak and kob back to the beach.
 
marbe wrote:
I was busy pumping prawns at Stilbaai when 2 Sea fisheries chaps came to ask for our permits. As it was our first time fishing from kayaks at Stilbaai I asked them some advice. According to them there was a chap in the past holiday catching some nice red fish between the harbor and the point and that he also caught a 53 kg kabeljou. The fish was to big for the yak and a rubber-duck came to his assistance and helped. Do any body have more info on this? because if its true, it will be AMAZING.

I was in Stilbaai and the story was the kob towed him out quite far. He was very far from land and the rubber duck, by chance, rescured him. Fish was 37/36kg as I recall. Not 50kg.
 

swifty

New member
I grew up at Stillies.  Once caught an 18kg Kob while surfing.  he put up a good fight and cut my fingers to shreds as we fought from sand bank to sandbank.  I managed to drag him out and home.  Its a good braai and beer story, my kids never tire of it.

Family record is a 62kg Kob from the river.  There are still some big ones around

Keep well
Grant
 
Top