Kayaking Cape Town

Speedmaster

Senior Member
Morning. Welcome to the coast. We normally fish the reefs more infront of spur in strand. and then Melkbaai. in strand. W Do you already have a ski?
 

TotalNoob

New member
Speedmaster wrote:
Morning. Welcome to the coast. We normally fish the reefs more infront of spur in strand. and then Melkbaai. in strand. W Do you already have a ski?

Thanks Speedmaster:wfish

Nope, no ski yet,but keeping my eyes peeled for decent 2nd hand setups.

I would actually like a double seater ski (for those days when my fiance feels like going out), but most of the time i will be the only one on the ski.Is this possible? Can 1 person row a double ski?:kaykak
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
Oh ok. We are going out in trand this Saturday, come down hand have a chat. I am not sure if one persone can hande a double. Never been in a double before. We will be in the poort from around 6:00 till 11:00. Poort is infront of the swimming pool in strand. Everybody else is welcome to join.
 

TotalNoob

New member
Speedmaster wrote:
Oh ok. We are going out in trand this Saturday, come down hand have a chat. I am not sure if one persone can hande a double. Never been in a double before. We will be in the poort from around 6:00 till 11:00. Poort is infront of the swimming pool in strand. Everybody else is welcome to join.

Awesome! Will come down for a chat.
Im basically trying to kill 2 birds with one stone,having a fishing ski and crusing around the bay with my fiance, otherwise 2 skis is in order:kaykak
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
I would say to get 2 single ski`s is better. If you guys are out on a paddle and something happens to one of the ski`s then there is a backup one. When on one ski there is no backup. Just my 2c
 

stormchild

Senior Member
TotalNoob wrote:
Speedmaster wrote:
Morning. Welcome to the coast. We normally fish the reefs more infront of spur in strand. and then Melkbaai. in strand. W Do you already have a ski?

Thanks Speedmaster:wfish

Nope, no ski yet,but keeping my eyes peeled for decent 2nd hand setups.

I would actually like a double seater ski (for those days when my fiance feels like going out), but most of the time i will be the only one on the ski.Is this possible? Can 1 person row a double ski?:kaykak
yes, you can paddle a double alone. Just pop a sand bag on the front seat to give it a bit of weight. Friend of mine wants to sell his double, its a Stealth and I think he wants R 8000 for it. PM me and I'll forward you his number if interested.
 

kobrob

New member
Hi Total, The fishing off the reefs at strand can be very good for kob, geelbek and elf etc etc.
However it is a closed area. Refer to the marine and coastal brochure that you get from fishing shops and when you buy your licence from the post office.
Under one of the headings marked "closed areas", it clearly states that no fishing from any craft within 500 mts of the shore.
You can angle anywhere on the reefs by walking around but no fishing from fishing skis or other craft boats etc etc.
I have spoken to the management at marine and coastal and 500 mts it is.
I have a hand held G P S and I have worked out that I can still fish in lots of areas on the reefs outside of 500 mts and catch good fish.
If you dont own a gps then my advice to you is try and be aware of 500 mts and do your best to be sitting outside at that approximate mark. And the 500 mts is from the high water mark which is basically next to the edge of the pavement.
Good luck.:kaykak:::S:kaykak
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Hi there, just wanted to offer my thoughts on the single/double 1 or 2 people scenario, as i've got that t-shirt already, and seen it with others here.
firstly a proper double does not paddle properly one up, and i dont see carrying around a 40 or 50 kilo sandbag to dump in the front so it will almost trim, as as practical solution, you have some extra ballast and no extra propulsion - like driving a car with flat wheels and a dud spark plug - do-able but it doesnt work well.
The best solution imo would be a double and a single - that way you can share the paddling experience with a loved one, and still go out when you dont have anyone to crew - best of both worlds and no compromise on either.
regards F
 

TotalNoob

New member
Thanks guys for all your replies!Currently broke at the moment(bond transfer costs...sigh) so i will only be actively looking after payday this month.

Thanks again!
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
There are double yaks with an extra seat in the middle if you are on your own. if you are looking at plastic, look at the Fluid Synergy. I think the macski also have a similar setup.
 

TotalNoob

New member
oomfaan wrote:
There are double yaks with an extra seat in the middle if you are on your own. if you are looking at plastic, look at the Fluid Synergy. I think the macski also have a similar setup.

Thanks oomfaan.
What is the key differences between plastic and fibreglass besides the price?

I like the look of the maxski because its looks very solid(fibreglass) and you kinda sit in the kayak and not on top (synergy fluid?)if you know what i mean?
 

Fredster

Senior Member
um i've had a macski explorer also; its a nice versatile compromise boat; but it remains a compromise. definitely better suited to estuaries and FLAT smooth seas - wont handle poor conditions like regular skis will. biggest problem is the giant bathtub effect that drains so SLOWLY in short chop and surf launching - two up into the wind in short chop and you are literally sitting waist deep in water paddling a submarine - not cool at all.
Right conditions, flat launch, flat sea, close inshore and its cool for noodling about with a mate or one up. Not a serious paddlers 'yak tho, imo.
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
TotalNoob wrote:
oomfaan wrote:
There are double yaks with an extra seat in the middle if you are on your own. if you are looking at plastic, look at the Fluid Synergy. I think the macski also have a similar setup.

Thanks oomfaan.
What is the key differences between plastic and fibreglass besides the price?

I like the look of the maxski because its looks very solid(fibreglass) and you kinda sit in the kayak and not on top (synergy fluid?)if you know what i mean?
Glass is notably more streamline and generally faster than plastic. Plastic seem to be wider and more stable. My yak and the Synergy was not originally designed fishing boats, but more for general play arround. I had to do a lot of mods to change Myyak into the fishing machine she is. The greatest advantage in my humble opinion is that she is bulletproof and virtually indestructible. A very important point if you fish the way I do.
 

kobrob

New member
If i can have my cents worth. I have an Erics Clarkeski 4,7m which is fast and stable.
I have paddled next to some plastic tupperware type kayaks and they were very slow.
I prefer the modern glass ski's because they are lighter and faster. Speed with me is very important because I fish a lot off the point and I pull up to 3 rapala deep divers and sometimes I need to have speed to get them down to the yellowtail and bonito etc etc.
I can also cover a lot more water in a faster ski.
If you only anchor at a spot and fish then anything will do. But, beware if you have to paddle out one day thru the surf and you need some speed to get out in a lull to past the back line, you just might find yourself in a spot of bother. :::S:kaykak:::S
 

TotalNoob

New member
kobrob wrote:
If i can have my cents worth. I have an Erics Clarkeski 4,7m which is fast and stable.
I have paddled next to some plastic tupperware type kayaks and they were very slow.
I prefer the modern glass ski's because they are lighter and faster. Speed with me is very important because I fish a lot off the point and I pull up to 3 rapala deep divers and sometimes I need to have speed to get them down to the yellowtail and bonito etc etc.
I can also cover a lot more water in a faster ski.
If you only anchor at a spot and fish then anything will do. But, beware if you have to paddle out one day thru the surf and you need some speed to get out in a lull to past the back line, you just might find yourself in a spot of bother. :::S:kaykak:::S

Awesome thanks! Did you'll manage to get out at Strand on Saturday?
 
Top