kayak fishing

Teddy99

New member
 Hi Guys

I am new to kayak fishing and plan to go out for the first time this December in Durban.I have no idea of where I should begin.I plan on starting with smaller fish until I get the hang of things.I herd of fishing in the harbour but do not know any regulations for fishing there ,or should I rather try Veggie's beach?.Does any one have any advice of how I should start?

Thanks
 
Howzit Teddy

First off, :welcomesea: hope you enjoy your stay here!

I'm sure you've checked through the forum already - there are a lot of great posts from guys who've been in the game for ages.

The harbour is not the easiest place to fish, special licenses are required for this and to my knowledge they are only available from the Durban Paddle Ski Club - the catch is they are expensive (with joining fee, inspections, etc, etc you're not going to get much change from a couple of grand!).

I'd reccomend fishing off Vetchies, it's a great place to get your paddle wet in the beginning without the problems of big waves, etc. There is a fair amount of good fish swimming around, but seldom anything trophy sized. If you spend some time around the shark nets you'll catch your limit of shad quickly.

If you are around for a while, get some practice at Vetchies and then go either North or South and target the wrecks and reefs for fish that will make your head spin. Obviously the type of kayak you have will limit where you will be able to launch - some of the plastic kayaks do not have hatches for rods, etc and are a bit wide to launch from a beach with surfing waves! There are a lot of locals on the forum, and you will be able to join up with a group going out quite easily.

What sort of tackle do you have and what kayak are you going to be paddling with?
 

Teddy99

New member
Thanks for replying Aperfectimperfection

I basically just have two rods ,a Fin-Chaser and a Silstar Carbo Glass Boat 3601212
and I will be using the Feel Free New Move kayak.

Thank you for the advice     :SSS
 

Parasite

New member
Hello Teddy99, the kayak fishing in our waters is requlated, and although not strictly inforced, the fines are very heavy.
The area between the South Pier to the Snake Park is regulated by the Port Capatain and to launch from any where in that area you are required to be registetred with him. You may belong to any of the 4 boating/kayak clubs there, who will register you, after inspection the required safety equipment that is prescribed, the cost will be in line with their club policy. The cheapest is to join the DPSC, the initaial cost being under R1000, thereafter R350 per year which also allows you to fish the harbour. There are a number of coastal clubs that are registered with the South African Kayak Fishing Association that follow SAMSA safety guidlines in line with South African Maritime Law. The closest to Durban is the Umgeni Kayak Fishing Club that cost R300 per year and also registers you with the SAKFA.
Any week end you can come down to the DPSC and talk to the people there for advice. There are always Committee members there. Alternately you can google DPSC and read up all about it. On Thursday 1st November there is a meeting for the UKFC at Stealth were should you attend, can discuss your concerns. Unfortunately we do not have a club house at present. You can also Google SAKFA and read up abpout the regulations. Hope to see you either on the water tugging on a fish or swimming back to shore after you kayak.(and many of us do that)
 

Teddy99

New member
Wow you sound very professional Paracite

I only come to Durban once a year for about two weeks and to pay R300 a year for hopefully 14 days is quite expensive.Isn't there a alternative like a week permit or something or should I take a chance and hope nobody catches me?

 
 

codfather

Senior Member
Wow you sound very professional Paracite

I only come to Durban once a year for about two weeks and to pay R300 a year for hopefully 14 days is quite expensive.Isn't there a alternative like a week permit or something or should I take a chance and hope nobody catches me?


R300 / 14 days R21.42 per day ????? Expensive ????? Are you mad ?????

Come down to Umkomaas I will show you where you can launch for free....You will have to swim with Sharks though.

You could have some great fun in your kayak why don't you do it the correct way? The problem is some guys come down here and get it all wrong and ruin it for the guys who fish here all year round. If you try and do it your own way and get into trouble there will be no one to help you. Do it the correct way and the guys will give you lots of help and advice.
 

Parasite

New member
Teddy99 wrote:
Wow you sound very professional Paracite
I only come to Durban once a year for about two weeks and to pay R300 a year for hopefully 14 days is quite expensive.Isn't there a alternative like a week permit or something or should I take a chance and hope nobody catches me?
Thanks for the compliment, however proffessional, no, responsible, yes. Think you will find many, if not all registered kayak fishermen are very responsible in their approach to the sport, and conduct themselves in a proffessional manner.

We see it on a regular basis, guys look at the sport, think easy peasy, get all the gear, don't join a club to register and off they go. After an almost drowning experience, they give it up.

A few months later you see the Kayak on one of the for sale web sites offering the kayak "new"used 3 times for sale at a huge loss financially to them.

If you feel that the R300 per year fee is expensive, then it could be you will not have purchased a suitable approved paddling life jacket which could set you back at least double the R300, a set of pencil flares at about R450 as well as other items required. If this is the case I don't think that anyone will offer to take you out with them. You will become a liability to them.

The launch and return through the surf can be sometimes very scary and I have seen kayaks broken in the shore-break alone. Fishing and tussling with a fish or forbid it happens a shark in the swell and chop is another story. Not like standing on firm ground and giving it tight lines.
You do that on a kayak, and you will need your passport and a visa to enter Australia. Fishing bottom, you hook a huge skate that once it relises it's been hooked, cuzi off you go again at a water-sking pace.

We, or should i say us in the kayak fishing fraternity try and encourage newbees to join a club, firstly so that you can be shown, coached and mentored along with the launch/return, traces to use, where to fish and the safe landing of the fish that you don't end up in the water.

Secondly, we are trying to keep the authorities out of regulating it as we don't need the crap that goes with the ski boating fraternity. To do this we need minimal or no mishaps in the sea whereby NSRI are summoned, or the police mortuary van.

Tight lines and rather stay with inland kayak fishing.
 

Teddy99

New member
Thanks Parasite , I will definitely do it properly and join the club.My only concern is; my kayak is 2.7m and I heard it has to be at least 3m.Will this be a problem? 
 

codfather

Senior Member
Thanks Parasite , I will definitely do it properly and join the club.My only concern is; my kayak is 2.7m and I heard it has to be at least 3m.Will this be a problem?

I stand to be corrected but any kayak under 3 metres you would not be able to fish from it as it is far too small and unstable. I suggest you should definitely visit a club when you are down here.
 
Top