JigStar Swivel head Jigs

Nepptune

Sealiner
I posted this in the Jigging and popping section, but figured it would be a good idea to post here too...I also think that with a little DIY and some time, one could make up something pretty similar in your own garage.... you guys with DIY jig moulds could rig something like this...

As mentioned in the past, here finally are the promised pics of my JigStar Swivel head jigs.

2ep7bd1.jpg


The top one is fixed with a 7/0 Gamakatsu Monster Worm Hook.... Perfect fit for the 7" Gulp Jerks and other large plastics...

Rigged this way they are weedless, as well as the swivel head giving AWESOME action... one can also change hook sizes really quickly, but keep the same weight...

The bottom is fixed with a Gamakatsu Tuned Jigging hook on Kevlar Assist cord and a 9" Sluggo... This is more for deep water applications, and is a variation on the elevator rig.... falls fast, and has a great action when retrived with hops and bounces....

These are both two ounce (56gram ) versions... I have them in 28gram, 45 gram and 54 gram, and they should be available around the same time as the JigStar rods, along with fixed jigheads ( like Nitro's ) but also with the great shaped heads, on sper strong Gamakatsu hooks, and the awesome Lumo paint of course, as well as without.

Couple more pics.

2wfof21.jpg


j0gqvd.jpg


xkr6sz.jpg


These are AWESOME guys.....personally I think these are the est way to fish 7" plus baits....

HT wants to use one to bait a YFT in the canyon this season..... he calls them Skeletors!!! :)

:temp::temp::temp:
 

neilg

Sealiner
They look very good, and shouldn't be too difficult to make either, if you have an excisting mould for dropshot jigs
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
Cultiva ( Owner ) Make one similar but with a Nitro looking jighead and are available at Kingfisher and Basil Manning I have some in the half ounce but are a vailable 3/6 ounce aswell.

ignoblis
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
Where can I place my order? Need both weight sizes…

Went to Mais yesterday. The Berkley 2oz Nitro jigheads was R175 for 2…. SUPER CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!
 

royboy

Sealiner
Waterhond, go to Angling Africa in Centurion - the Nitro 5oz are R129 for 2, and the 4,3 and 2oz are slightly less. Still not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than Mias.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Had some "custom" ones made for me by Alcocks fishing tackle with Stainless Mustad hooks, pd R 20 for the 4oz and pd R 17 for the 2.5oz, BARGAIN IN MY BOOKS.

They are rugby ball shaped, and will do for now, but I still need some of Nepps stuff !!
 

royboy

Sealiner
Yeah Neil, we ALL NEED some of Nepps stuff. He's the ultimate tackle slut.

The Nitros are on Owner hooks so good quality.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Royboy,
at R 75 / jighead (for the 5 ounce), it's just crazy, really, owner hooks or not !

How much are those hooks each ? R 20 maybe R 30

I'm busy with a friend that's a toolmaker and has his own milling machine, I'm gonna get him to make me some moulds so that I can make for myself aswell, with different lead designs for different conditions and depths.

Personally prefer stainless hooks on jigheads, even with great care the hooks on jigheads will corrode and eventually fail when you don't need it.

Mustad for me for eva (personally)
 

royboy

Sealiner
Hi Neil, Andre and I had the same discussion on Sunday evening (while eating the BEST Sashimi and Nigiri ever).

The mold route is the way to go. Jigheads are basically consumables (like the plastics we stick on them) as terminal gear does get snagged and lost, and this stuff when imported is bloody dear!

eg. Lose 1 5oz jighead with a 7" flavoured artificial on it and that's almost 100 bucks gone!

5 or so breakoffs when bottom fishing costs more than the petrol to get the boat out to the reefs and back home.....

Some local initiatives will keep artificial angling within reach of many of the young folk taking it up - and this will be HEALTHY for the sport as a whole.
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
[color=#006600]royboy[/color] wrote:
Waterhond, go to Angling Africa in Centurion - the Nitro 5oz are R129 for 2, and the 4,3 and 2oz are slightly less. Still not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than Mias.

Thanks Royboy,

 

 

I think I should invest in some moulds for jig heads it getting totally ridiculous. I know moulds have been discussed before but: What is the overall verdict on which type of mould & technique in casting to use?

 

Then how well do they work? When casting the lead, don't you weaken/soften the hooks by heating then too much?
 

neilg

Sealiner
Waterhond,
just hang ten a little
Nepps is getting stuff in, which should be at bettr prices and I'm in the starting phase of getting moulds made local for dropshot jigheads.

I'm full of sh!t when it comes to fishing so if I decide it's good enough for me then it will be good enough for everybody else aswell. I want him to make me a mould or two, if good I will let everyone on here know, they are then welcome to order the moulds, but give it time please

The most realistic prices I ever got on jigheads was from Alcocks fishing tackle. 4oz jighead with mustad hook = R 20
 
Top