Improved Allbright knot for braid to leader

werries

Senior Member
My opinion : I have tried the Yucatan because of the sheer knot strength(as per Reefmans list) ...sure it is very strong,neat and very easy to tie BUT I found that it is not a long lasting knot . After a couple of throws the tag end dissintegrates causing it to slip back into the knot and then the whole thing comes undone causing you to throw your very expensive and (nowadays) scarce purple onde-ondes into the deep blue never to be seen again.

On lightish tackle (up to 20lb braid/25lb mono)  I have changed to the 5 turn surgeons knot and it is yet to fail me. However I will wrap the braid around the leader 15-20 times before making the turns in the knot.

On my heavier tackle 50-100lb braid/120lb leader for big Gt's I do a Spiderhitch(if in a hurry on the boat) on the braid to make a double and connect the braid and mono with a double uni. This is very strong on heavier tackle but it tends to slip on light tackle.

I swear by these 2 knots!
 

Patrick

Sealiner
The Yucatan is a good knot but not suited to thicker leaders i've found. On Nepps's advice i've been using the PR knot and its great. Nice and smooth through the eyes for spinning and doesnt get caught if winding a jig in too far. Takes a bit of tying but easily actually.
 
Top