Hi fellow ski fishers, I would like to know if an

Vis Burger

New member
And Mr Beukes

You sommer sound like a cowboy i would not want to go fishing with you because if you got into trouble i would have to bail you out of it ,No flares !!!??? no anchor ????

Safety first my bru !!!:fbash
 

kobrob

New member
I have been using a surfboard leash which works like a bomb. I was once washed off my ski and although the ski was anchored, a big set wave came through and hit me and turned me over. I was anchored in a channel and when I was thrown out of my ski, the current pushed me away from my ski and I had a 15 minute heck of a swim to get back to my ski! Not fun!:kaykak
 

subaruseun

Sealiner
MouseDog wrote:
I will just add some sort of quick release mechanism in case you don't want to be attached to a rapidly sinking kayak


carry a sleeved diving knife on your arm... should be sharp.

will help if you get dunked and you get caught up in your lines.
 

plunger

New member
This actually seems like a good idea.i am ashamed to say I have no safety equipment and no life jacket when I go out. I do tie my ski to my paddle but only when I am out there. I cannot see a tether causing problems and would only use it in rough conditions. I have often wondered what would happen if you had the bad luck of falling off while gaffing a fish and get hooked up with a treble on a big tunny. I think you would like to be tethered.. I often wondered if i can swim faster than the current and prevailing n e winds in a place like mozambique if i had to fall out.
 

kobrob

New member
The only way to find out how seaworthy you are it to let it all happen! Hook that big fish and get pulled over without a pfd etc etc the list just goes on and on and on!!!
I personally do not want to become a statistic so I will enjoy my day out there off the point or wherever, logically with all my safety gear, plenty of water, food, pfd and wetsuit etc etc.::S:kaykak::S
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Looking at the surf-ski fraternity, they do make use of a tether; the norm is a calf leash (a cuff just below the knee, to a quick release clip to a short leash secured to the handle). they only use it in big down-wind conditions though. there are some notable differences to our game though.
Firstly, a surfski weighs half to a quarter what a fishing ski weighs and is very easily picked up by a strong wind, compared to a fishing ski, secondly we generally dont seek out the big downwind conditions that they like.

In many years of skishing i can only think of two or three occasions where a tether to a your ski may have been beneficial: once a mate was washed off his ski in a big following ski (had a paddle leash obviously) got a skrik but stayed with the ski no prob; on another occasion two mates got wiped in very bad conditions in a strong channel rip resulting in the loss of a ski. the paddle leash in this case was cord which had no shock absorbing properties anyway.

So assuming the safety kit between your ears is functional ;) (lol, ie youre not using a tether to compensate for other shortcomings) and you want to pursue the tether-to-ski route, i'd say use a proper surfski leash at least, or something like 6 - 7mm yachting stretchie, and keep it as short as possible. Avoid cord or thin rope as this has no shock absorption and tangles really easily. A surboard leash, given the weight difference, will be too light, except perhaps for the 8mm big board big wave type which will prob be too long anyway.
Between your paddle leash and personal leash, only one at the most should be the coiled (telephone cable) type - if they both are coiled type, expect a huge tangle. have a stainless quick release clip at your end of the leash - not the ski end; and use a solid attachment point like a handle, not a rod-saddle.
regards F
 

Steady

Member
Fredster wrote:
Looking at the surf-ski fraternity, they do make use of a tether; the norm is a calf leash (a cuff just below the knee, to a quick release clip to a short leash secured to the handle). they only use it in big down-wind conditions though. there are some notable differences to our game though.

Great suggestion by Fredster. Just bear in mind that you do not need to use the leash all the time, however, if the wind does come up you can slip it on easily enough. If you do get blown/fall off and the wind is blowing it is very capable of blowing your ski away in a hurry. A fishing ski will move a lot slower than a surf ski in the wind as the ski's are lighter and they tend to roll away on the surface in the wind. Kind of like a parachute, if you don't have it when you need it you may never need it again! A good routine at backline just before you prepare to hit the beach will ensure you are not attached to your ski etc.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
[/quote]

Great suggestion by Fredster. Just bear in mind that you do not need to use the leash all the time, however, if the wind does come up you can slip it on easily enough. If you do get blown/fall off and the wind is blowing it is very capable of blowing your ski away in a hurry. A fishing ski will move a lot slower than a surf ski in the wind as the ski's are lighter and they tend to roll away on the surface in the wind. Kind of like a parachute, if you don't have it when you need it you may never need it again! A good routine at backline just before you prepare to hit the beach will ensure you are not attached to your ski etc.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Staedy, i actually just leave mine clipped to my waterproof grab bag containing flares emergency water & safety stuff.
Oh, and welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay :)
 

Foxhat

Senior Member
I use a waist belt which has a quick release buckle in the front.
It helps a lot if you launching or riding waves in. Some of the guys I've fished with over the years can eskimo roll at will even with rods in the holder. It takes a lot of practise and I havent quite got it right yet but theres time. If I do wipe and I'm upside down and can't roll into the sitting position, I just unclip the belt, climb back on and redo the belt again.

Belts are available as standard at all wave riding paddle ski shops.
 

Muddie

New member
I have made one for the Cape guys which is much smaller and has no nuisance value on the kayak. Totally plastic and has 2.5 meter parachute cord can be longer if required. On the market for small change.
 

Attachments

  • 20160604_204834[1].jpg
    20160604_204834[1].jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 50

Muddie

New member
Good that you are looking at safety gear. Inside is a white parachute cord tied to the green cord. The white cord is 2.5meters long and to keep it tidy and out of the way, I have stored it in the pvc pipe. The endcaps will pull off should you fall off your kayak. Please note you should not be attached to your kayak, when in the surf zone.
A guy in the strand sells these units for R20 or R25.
This little device will ensure the kayak will not be taken from you by wind or current.
 
Top