Hi Chaps Just got my spinning set after a lot o

Fishfingers

New member
Hi Chaps

Just got my spinning set after a lot of stress:?, but enjoyed every minute of it:).

Stradic 4000 FS and Crucial medium heavy, extra fast 7.2 rod. 20 pound Berkley fireline.

Got blood worm. I have Berkley camo worm, 4"chartreuse shad, 5" pearl watermelon, 2 onde onde 8" 2 small spoons, 3 strikepro lure and some 1/2 ounce bucktail jigs and a couple of various cheapies.

I've just got a couple of questions towrap up everything before we leave on Sat/19.

* Got 17kg siglon fluro, but it feels too heavy and does not look that invisable in water, any suggestion on what make and spec line I should be using with 20 p fireline. Also not sure on leader length. Should it be half a meter or 4m?

* What other plastics, lures would be good at this time of year in CV.

* Are Maleria tabs critical and what other precautions should be taken. We staying at the beach camp, any suggestions on what to take down?

* Which tackleshop is recommended for fresh bait in St Lucia.

Thanks

FF

 
 
Well grab a couple more onde onda's in different colours and sizes for your box...that 17kg leader is way to thick..trim down to about 20 to 25lb breaking strain...that stradic off yours is the bees knees dude...your gonna enjoy it..

A wise move would be to swing around to your nearest tackle shop and ask them to swop out your trebles on your spoons and plugs to single hooks..helps to not loose the lure if it sticks onto something...

Happy hunting..
 

neilg

Sealiner
Leader depends on what you are targetting.

Most of the time I use about 6kg Maxima Flurocarbon (200m roll), or the 10kg roll, at times I go as light as 3kg.

Leader length depends on you, if it's very rocky I go longer (+-twice length of rod), that way the flurocarbon takes most of the knocks.
You can go as short as 30cm, but I prefer a minimum of 1m flurocarbon in front of my braid.

I personally prefer (in general) to connect braid to flurocarbon (little heavier), then power swivel with about 500mm flurocarbon between swivel and lure. If I get stuck or broken off I generally only lose a small piece, which is much easier and quicker to set up again.

17kg is heavy for your setup, that would work much better with a 6000 size reel and a 10-12 foot rod with about 30lb braid

Means you will have to buy another setup hey ...

On the lures you have it covered hey ! You can never have too much ondas !

Enjoy
 

Fishfingers

New member
Thanks Niel, Bazooka.

Corne, yes, good for surf. I've got 4" onde onde. Do a search on the site, reefer has pic of this lure.

Bazooka, what size, type hook do you recommend. What do you do when hooked up onto a rock etc. to get the lure back.
 

neilg

Sealiner
If you change from Triangle hooks to normal hooks your chances of getting hooked into good reefs is much smaller.

As for getting it back, how much is your life worth ? I rather buy another one if it's stuck in a dangerous area.

Corne,
you get different sizes (search on this site, I posted links a few days ago), the size and weight depends on your tackle, I personally love the purple coloured one for elf, but there are more colours available.

Put it this way, I will not go fishing (spinning) if I don't have a purple onda onda in my tackle bag.
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
I dont like onda onde spoons!!!!!

They cost way to much and I always seem the loose them.:X:X

But I do like Mary Spoons!!!! :woohoo:woohooThey are really great and not that expensive.

I have 8lbs Fire Line on my 4000 Stradic and it casts like a dream.

Get some caracter on the lures (Fish Theeth Marks) and fish slime on your hands.:fst:
 
Top