Hey guys, I just wanted to check the exact require

PimpYoda

Member
Hey guys, I just wanted to check the exact requirements. I have been fishing on Langebaan Lagoon for years on someone else's boat. They always have 1 pencil flare and smoke bomb.

Just purchased a kayak and noticed everyone sells the pencil flare kits which is R800+ compared to R145 odd for a handheld flare.

I'm sure having a set would be useful if you go out a fair distance off the coast but that's not the question.

Would a single handheld flare suffice or do you really require a pencil flare kit?

Thanks
 

bassbug

New member
thus far i havent had the need to shoot a flare so my experience with them is zero except for the fact of owning a pencil flare. i opted for the pencil flare because i think they are more visual and you have mutiple shoots. they do come in a small tiny box and lightweight, some important factors when kayaking. the only downfall is that they are expensive and expired after a certain period.
not sure about the following, maybe the cartridges can be replaced seperately, making them more affordable without the need to purchase the complete box.
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi PY you will need a set of 6 pencil flares to comply with the regs, orange smoke not required but useful if you are being rescued at sea and want to indicate your position. I will try attach the relevant page.
In addition to unexpired set of 6 pencil flares you need
A pfd
750ml of drinking water
10m of towing rope
bailing device
 

Attachments

  • RSA SV Regs 2007.pdf
    5.2 KB · Views: 16

Malgas

Senior Member
The attachment does not open but the text covers it for fishing under normal circumstances, on a kayak offshore- read the regs yourself (Pg 59 summarises for Kayaks). your safety is a vital concern. Also as much as it is a pain, and cost, to keep buying new flares every 3 years- when you need them then you really need them! And to carry unstable/ expired flares is also a risk. I have seen one go off in a guys webbing and the outcome is not pleasant!
 
Top