Help me catch a fish ;-)

Mishfan

New member
Hi guys. Firstly I would like to thank everyone on Sealine for all the great advice and help offered. I really have benefitted alot. But I still need some help ;-)

So I'm heading down to durbs from the 17 -24 Jan, and I would love to take my newly acquired plastic kayak with. I've never paddled on the ocean before but I've heard some good things about Vetchies. I don't normally fish the salt so I have an Abu Garcia 6ft rod with a Shimano 2500 reel, I really don't want to buy new tackle as yet.

My questions are:
What licences do I need and where can I get them?
What fish are currently around?
What fish are ok to handle on my tackle?
And what are good baits and traces to target the above? (avoiding the possibility of hooking any sharks or rays!)

I really don't mind catching small fish all day but a baby tuna will be the ultimate!
 
Hi bud
Ok 1st you get a lic from the post office for fishing and fishing of a vessel all on 1 lic.2) vetchies is a nice place to mess around you sound like a bass boy so scratch in your bass box for a green strick pro minnow .3) what pound line are you running with 4) are you paddling with some 1 with experience 5) do you have all the safty gear as not to be ugly but the sea is unforgiving
 

Mishfan

New member
Cool so licence at the post office, 14lb mono. I have some tiny iron candy bullet spoons (I think) lead heads with soft plastics, bucktail jigs and open to fishing with bait. I have a life jacket, 30m of rope, water bottle, I'm sure I have a small mirror. Flares I was hoping to get in durbs. I probably will be alone but I'm hoping there will be other fishermen out
 

Predator_828

New member
Mishfan wrote:
Hi guys. Firstly I would like to thank everyone on Sealine for all the great advice and help offered. I really have benefitted alot. But I still need some help ;-)

So I'm heading down to durbs from the 17 -24 Jan, and I would love to take my newly acquired plastic kayak with. I've never paddled on the ocean before but I've heard some good things about Vetchies. I don't normally fish the salt so I have an Abu Garcia 6ft rod with a Shimano 2500 reel, I really don't want to buy new tackle as yet.

My questions are:
What licences do I need and where can I get them?
What fish are currently around?
What fish are ok to handle on my tackle?
And what are good baits and traces to target the above? (avoiding the possibility of hooking any sharks or rays!)

I really don't mind catching small fish all day but a baby tuna will be the ultimate!
Personally I would head out with some heavier tackle but if you get something really big, the worst that could happen is you have a lot of fun and possibly lose it. As far as safety gear goes it sounds like you got most of it covered. I wouldn't go out without flares just in case something happens. You will also want to get a paddle leash.

Have fun man! You must post a report when you get back. ::tight:
 

Mishfan

New member
I have a Shimano trevala on my next shopping list ;-) hopefully will be here before for the next trip. Most definitely will post a report, just hope I get some fish!
 
Top