Going to Donaldson Dam

Die$eL

New member
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been on the forum (well its been a while that I haven't been fishing. Terrible, I know!)

We intend going to Donaldson Dam this weekend. I haven't been there before and have a few questions.

- Firstly, is it safe to take the family?
- Which part of the dam is best? We will want to braai and fish.
- What bait to use?
- What rigs to use?
- Anything else I need to know?
- What facilities are available? Is it clean?

Thanks
 
Donaldson is more of a specimen venue, so your best bet is to use a specimen approach. Do a search on the forum, I'm sure you will find lots of info.
 

Die$eL

New member
Thanks steelpulse007. Any suggestions for an alternate venue? where i can just go throw in a line with a bomb mix and relax? I dont have any idea how to do specimen fishing
 

Die$eL

New member
ok so we ended up going to Meerhof on Harties. Got there at 6:40am and were told that they are already full up.

So we went to Schoemansville on the opposite side of the dam. Very nice place. Neat and well kept. Fishing was terrible though.
Everyone but us had little canoes and rowed their baits out. Even with that only 1 guy caught a carp of around what i guess to be 4kg.
There were some guys who camped overnight and they had caught 2 during the night.

Next day we went to Footloose in Diepsloot. I caught a 1.7kg carp on pips and then a 2.8kg on chicken liver :?

Tried for bass on a rapala but no luck... Anyways it was nice
 

Attachments

  • 20140420_155807.jpg
    20140420_155807.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 108
Top