Carp Cruncher,
it appears that klipdrift is Blade's backyard, but i have fished there quite a few times so my input can be used as an after thought.
I agree with Blade on distances and the rest of the gameplan, so I am not going to repeat the rest. There is huge moggels in the dam that you MIGHT pick up. I say might because they are difficult to hook in the mouth. What you often get is "line bites" where algae gets stuck to your maunline and the moggels will take this and swim off, causing you to get a reel run with the mainline moving left or right. You can also expect to get barbel in the dam and normal baits for them would apply. But to get to the main target species, carp, I would like to add the following combinations:
- FX, Hasbeen and Stuttafords on the bol; swd on the top hook / a floatie (FX) and swd on the bottom hook. This is known as a favorite combo for Klipdrift and I would start the one rod off with this. (PS MrMuti has a mixture of FX and Hasbeen that's named Ogies)
- Banjo and Ebony on the bol (my pegmate actually used BMT and Yebo-both Supercast)
Points to remember though is that you have to establish a feeding spot. Klipdrift can be very "tempramental" so for that reason you have to start at two extreme distances (50m and 100m+). Its difficult to say that you have to continue to build a feeding spot at these distances cos the fish can come out at any distance. But look where the guys who have caught a fish are casting at and consider that the profile of your swim is more or less similar to theirs and cast to the same distance. Another point to remember is to use custard powder where you shake your whole baited up trace in the powder before you cast. This can be done once every now and then.
You must also take note of the time it takes for a pick up. Sometimes it can take as long as an hour and 15 minutes. Obviously if the tempo is up with the other anglers you can consider changing the baits more often.
As I said, Klipdrift can be difficult but is one of the most just/honest/fairest venues andf anglers working/thinking on their feet get the results. I will be fishing Klipdrift next month, so I will hopefully take heed of my own advice

