Crates

Predator_828

New member
Howzit guys, I got my hunterski about week ago and I've been working on it a bit before I hit the water. At the moment I've started work on a storage crate for the back, I want to put 4 flanged PVC rod holders on it. To mount it I luckily only needed 2 carabiners, fortunately I haven't needed to drill into my kayak yet ^^.., sooner or later I reckon I am going to have to.

What do you guys think? Anything I should add or change? Post your own creations if you can :)
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0249.JPG
    DSC_0249.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 203

Snack

Senior Member
please check the trip line that you have on your anchor - i think its too strong and you will battle to break it should you get stuck - especially on a yak. 

Somewhere on the forum, a chap took a broken boat road, put an old penn on it and had a ball sinker and treble hook that he used as an anchor.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Looks good Predator_828, I'm fortunate that I rarely need to surf launch, hence I have no issues with my crate. Although having said that I do have a lid if I need to... It takes some practice turning around at sea and shifting your weight comfortably in an attempt to gain access to your anchor... It's slightly more difficult for me as I'm not the tallest person in the world... ;)

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=43353&forum_id=26&highlight=wet
 

Predator_828

New member
zulu-X-treme wrote:
Looks good Predator_828, I'm fortunate that I rarely need to surf launch, hence I have no issues with my crate. Although having said that I do have a lid if I need to... It takes some practice turning around at sea and shifting your weight comfortably in an attempt to gain access to your anchor... It's slightly more difficult for me as I'm not the tallest person in the world... ;)

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=43353&forum_id=26&highlight=wet
Lekker post zulu, you've outfitted your bamba nicely! I really like the way you store it in your garage, I am going to get some pulleys today to store mine away. I intend to set it up so I can lower the kayak onto the roof racks.

So far if I sit in the seat I don't have much trouble getting stuff from the back crate. Add some crazy waves to the equation and it probably will get a lot more difficult.:)

Snack wrote:
please check the trip line that you have on your anchor - i think its too strong and you will battle to break it should you get stuck - especially on a yak. 

Somewhere on the forum, a chap took a broken boat road, put an old penn on it and had a ball sinker and treble hook that he used as an anchor.
Snack! You've saved me a lot of trouble, I gave it a tug this morning and it took quite a load to break the cable tie. I put a smaller 2mm one on and it trips consistently and without much force needed! Rookie mistake not to test the setup before using it. Thanks a lot! ((goodp_
 

RobG

Senior Member
Maybe a stupid question but why do you balance the crate on the back? Why not put it in the recess?

I got hold of two post office crates that they use to stack letters in. They stack very well so the one creates a lid for the other. They are also a bit smaller than other crates.

I came to a conclusion a while ago: The bigger the crate/fishing box, the more crap you put in it that never gets used. Rather take less and use most of it, in a smaller crate, because it is just easier and quicker.

If you going through the surf, you have to strap that crate down and it must have a lid or you will be donating it to the sea.
 

Predator_828

New member
RobG wrote:
Maybe a stupid question but why do you balance the crate on the back? Why not put it in the recess?

I got hold of two post office crates that they use to stack letters in. They stack very well so the one creates a lid for the other. They are also a bit smaller than other crates.

I came to a conclusion a while ago: The bigger the crate/fishing box, the more crap you put in it that never gets used. Rather take less and use most of it, in a smaller crate, because it is just easier and quicker.

If you going through the surf, you have to strap that crate down and it must have a lid or you will be donating it to the sea.
I stuck it on the back so I could keep access to the back hatch, where I keep food and jackets etc... The cooler box goes right behind me in a molded well so there is nowhere else I can put in besides there.

I was intending to use a bigger crate but a similar conclusion crossed my mind to keep it simple and not take too much random crap :). The back holds my anchor, extra rope, boga grips and has a few stack rod holders. I want to add a pouch for pliers and a knife etc

I'm most likely not going to hit the surf just yet, I want to practice launching first of all without any gear, as well as deep water re entry. Then again I want to get all the necessary safety gear - radio, flares, PFD. I am thinking of adding a few tethers to the crate to make it more secure and a waterproof canvas cover with some valcro
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
RobG wrote:
I came to a conclusion a while ago: The bigger the crate/fishing box, the more crap you put in it that never gets used. Rather take less and use most of it, in a smaller crate, because it is just easier and quicker.

Too true... ;)
 
Top