Catching perch on lures at Kosi Bay

zach

New member
Hi,has any body targeted perch on artificials in Kosi Bay.What lures was used and where.Thanks in advance.
 

Chop

New member
I have caught them on flies and on drop shot in the lakes - I concentrate on the edges of the reeds where there is deeper water. Mostly in lake 3, but I have heard of them coming out of the other lakes.   Be careful of the snappers though - they will pull you out of your boat :f1shy

2366003357_09ca5d0f49.jpg
 

zach

New member
Thanks,nice picture.I am going to Kosi in Jan to target the snapper again on top water lures.Caugt one or two nice ones last year.The perch I would like to target with ultra light tackle.Just hope the snappers leave the small lures alone.
 

Chop

New member
I got some good ones on fly too - the perch were caught while targeting snappers - on the same flies!!!
3382524022_f5d0596640.jpg
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Damn thats an awesome Snapper Chop!!! Absolutely beautiful fish, a dream for me on a topwater....

Is that a Siliclone Mullet in its mouth I see? Popovich style? Looks like it accounted for some awesome fish, awesome action...
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Chop

I have caught plenty fish many years ago at Kosi doing the following. At that stage was dropshot was a dream for most. We used bass plastics to catch with. What worked the best for me was a white grub of about 4". I would anchor the boat in lake 2 in the deep water and then cast to the shallow water in the inlet from lake 3 to lake 2. Late afternoon before sunset was the prime time. We caught grunter , perch and even kingfish this way. We also did it in lake1 casting to the shallows of the inlet from lake 2. Later when dropshot was introduced did we use small pink grubs with the curly tail that stinks like hell but they work. Try drifting in lake 1 with dropshots you will be amazed with what you catch.

Tight Lines and report back please.
 

Chop

New member
Nepptune wrote:
Damn thats an awesome Snapper Chop!!! Absolutely beautiful fish, a dream for me on a topwater....

Is that a Siliclone Mullet in its mouth I see? Popovich style? Looks like it accounted for some awesome fish, awesome action...
Siliclone it is.  Have had them snap us up on 12wts with straight 50lb - now fish 80-100lb.  Also broken 6/0 gama hooks.  There are some monsters - things that make like a toilet flushing on the take, then cut hands, pulled anchors, broken tackle etc.   I love the mayhem.  The best part is that when there are no kingies around, these guys are targetable all day.  They take anything big and bulky with some action - poppers, flippers, siliclones, big sempers, seaducers etc.  I prefer taking them on / near the surface due to the toilet flush thing - awesome fun. You have to stop them quickly or you get wrappedup - hence the heavy tackle...

Used to target them at channel entrances at night, butthese days too much boat traffic.  Also had too many close calls with hippos there. 

  
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Guys

Best months at Kosi, December to March although fish around from October to May is not to bad. Best is the very hot months.

Cheers
 

zach

New member
Guys thanks alot for all the info.As all ways sealine never dissapoints.Will give your guys feedback when I come back.
 

Chop

New member
Zach, you should try and get hold of Rob Kyle on the forum - he probably knows more about Kosi thananyone else...
 

basstacle4see

New member
If you happen to catch a snapper with a bomber long a, rapala x-rap or storm chug bug sticking out it's mouth...that's the ones we unintentionally tagged and released.....
 

swampmaster

New member
Chop thanks for the great photos.

There is a similar looking snapper in Australia/PNG that also likes to eat the lures described above.

Called a mangrove jack, I've caught a few and they are dirty fighters!


 
 

Attachments

  • Mangrove jack David Gaffy.JPG
    Mangrove jack David Gaffy.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 136
Top