Big tom

I am in Abu Dhabi, was originally looking for an stealth evo 465, but the UAE dealer seems to have disappeared and the only stealths I have seen secondhand are either too light (supalite) or for paddling (toura) and an evo double which I thought about but as I was intending to use it as a single for fishing, took to long before I tried to get it. Now I see a big Tom available that is about two years old with some extras. Taking into account that most of the skis here are tupperwares, I am thinking of getting it, but am struggling to find decent reviews. The sea is very calm here and I can drive right down to launching sites. Can they take a bit of a knock on pebbles on the beach? How are they paddling wise, similar to an Eric's tunny or slower, as in for paddling several Kms?
 

Parasite

New member
Hello Steve, The guy who manufactured those kayaks has since stopped. The kayaks are heavier than the standard kayaks as they are hand moulded as opposed to the blow moulding of others. They paddle similar to the Eric Tunny, and I can tell you after a 15km paddle you know you have paddled. They are non the less a good strong kayak and very stable on the water.Obviously they are not as stream lined as the more recent types on the market and you need to really paddle hard to pull a rapala. Enjoy it, welcome to kayak fishing, and tight lines.
 

kobrob

New member
Hi Steve, have you thought of asking the guy's at stealth to work out a quote for you on shipping an evo 465 to you over there. They ship all over the world I am told.
 
kobrob wrote:
Hi Steve, have you thought of asking the guy's at stealth to work out a quote for you on shipping an evo 465 to you over there. They ship all over the world I am told.
I don't want to spend that much. I have a Malibu X factor here which I bought after looking for a suitable secondhand stealth for several months, as soon as I bought it stealths were showing up on the secondhand market. Some supalites which are too small for me and a double which I considered as the sea is very flat here, but thought it better not to go for until I heard of two guys in UAE and two guys in SA that also use them without hassles as singles,I had dawdled over it too long and when I decided to look into it, it had already been sold.
 
kobrob wrote:
Hi Steve, have you thought of asking the guy's at stealth to work out a quote for you on shipping an evo 465 to you over there. They ship all over the world I am told.
I don't want to spend that much. I have a Malibu X factor here which I bought after looking for a suitable secondhand stealth for several months, as soon as I bought it stealths were showing up on the secondhand market. Some supalites which are too small for me and a double which I considered as the sea is very flat here, but thought it better not to go for until I heard of two guys in UAE and two guys in SA that also use them without hassles as singles,I had dawdled over it too long and when I decided to look into it, it had already been sold.
 
kobrob wrote:
Hi Steve, have you thought of asking the guy's at stealth to work out a quote for you on shipping an evo 465 to you over there. They ship all over the world I am told.
I don't want to spend that much. I have a Malibu X factor here which I bought after looking for a suitable secondhand stealth for several months, as soon as I bought it stealths were showing up on the secondhand market. Some supalites which are too small for me and a double which I considered as the sea is very flat here, but thought it better not to go for until I heard of two guys in UAE and two guys in SA that also use them without hassles as singles,I had dawdled over it too long and when I decided to look into it, it had already been sold.
 

RobG

Senior Member
Nothing wrong with a Big Tom. I dont think there is another ski that can handle a 'Big Person' as well as a Big Tom!
 

RobG

Senior Member
Nothing wrong with a Big Tom. I dont think there is another ski that can handle a 'Big Person' as well as a Big Tom!
 

kobrob

New member
Ya,then you should be looking at a new generation type ski that has the peddles that can be adjusted. If the tom has the space for your long leg's then you are ok. A lot of the older generation type ski's were not made with adjustable peddles. You can of course do the mod yourself if you get an old type of ski provided it has the space to do a mod and extend the peddle range. It is a strong consideration having your knees only slightly bent. If you sit with your knees up high, your centre of gravity is high and this induces instability and possible backache. If you sit on the floor legs flat and raise your one knee and place your fist under your knee, that is about the correct angle for your legs when sitting in a kayak cockpit!:kaykak
 
Thanks, I will keep that in mind when/ if I get the opportunity to test it out. I have long legs. Virtually the full length if I sit in the front of an evo double.
 
Sounds like it will be big enough, the current guy using it is 6 foot 1 inch and reckons it won,t be too short, still have to see it though.
 
Top