Berkley vs Tactic

Homie

Sealiner
Hi guys,

I have been to Mia's Woodmead, and they sugessted the Tactic dropshot rod. They claim you can throw a 1 ounce jighad with this. It sells for about R700. Not a bad rod, but what would you suggest ?

Also, whats the going rate for the Berkley Tactix 6.6" ???

Thanks guys

Tight lines.
 

Ocean_darku

Senior Member
A cheaper yet brilliant alternative would be the sensation passion stick 7ft medium heavy rod....it also casts a 1 ounce jig (thts wat the sensation rep assured me over the phone anyway)...a cool R425 Which leaves you with some change and a smile on your face
 
G

Guest

Guest
I've got the Sensation Passion Stick 7 foot - awesome rod - got it matched up to an Excellor 2500 - very very well balanced combo.

Gilly
 

Homie

Sealiner
Thanks Guys,
much appreciated ! there is such a vast selection out there, makes choosing very difficult. Any ideas on pricing, coz I'm getting variations of more than a R100 on the reel and rods !!
 

Shimaiwa

New member
I am currently using a Sensation Antiser, MH Fast Action 1/8 to 1 ounce. IMO a very good rod for +-R270. Soon to be matched with a 3000 Exceler.
 

Ocean_darku

Senior Member
Sweet good stuff dropshot dude....any idea if the passion stick does cast a one ounce jig? Just ordered myself one and cant wait to take it for a test run
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
Have any of you guys caught on a 1 ounce jig?

I haven't yet. It seems somewhat heavy for most applications - that is , most of our fishing is done close to or off rocks. Also, most of the time I fish 3" minnows and they are not balanced with above 1/4 ounce.

Wouldn't having a rod for a smaller range of weights be more suitable for dropshot?
 

Ocean_darku

Senior Member
Well for me personally i'd like the idea of using a rod capable of throwin a 1ounce jig cos if i'm standing on a rock flicking 1/8th ounce jigs n i then see monster splashing action goin on a bit further than my cast ,i would then switch to the one ounce and slap on a 5"jerk shad and bombs away!Besides wat bout using the one ounce for shallow depth reef bottom fishing?? Heavier jig - faster sinking
 

Shimaiwa

New member
I mainly bought this rod for throwing 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce spoons/ swimmming jigs to catch Shad,Kingies etc

I agree with you Dingleberry the 3" minnow are not balanced with 1/4 ounce jigheads. I generally use 1/8th ounce jigheads for 3" minnows and 1/4 ounce jigheads for 4" minnows.

I personally think it is quite hard to have a perfect all round setup and think it is preferable to have 2 rods one light (Cherrywood) and one heavy (Antiser)

@ Ocean I think the passion stick is a more sensitive version of the antiser, so I assume it can handle a 1 ounce sinker
 

killer fish

New member
HI GENTS

Just got myself a FIRE WOLF DAIWA ROD fitted with a REGAL 2500-4I DAIWA REEL...rod length 7 ft.Took it for a 1st outing sat morning...using "Bings".The tide wasn't right 4 a kingie so i opted 4 a pearch,grunter or a sand fish...flathead. Pretty CHUFFED WITH MYSELF got the rod off to a good start...2 sand fish......36cm......14cm.....had numorous soft takes....did not see any other fish caught.

CHEERS

KILLER FISH
 

Johan S

Senior Member
[color="#006600"]Dropshot Dude[/color] wrote:
I am currently using a Sensation Antiser, MH Fast Action 1/8 to 1 ounce. IMO a very good rod for +-R270. Soon to be matched with a 3000 Exceler.

My setup to a letter :) I've had it since Nov last year, and have used this to catch bass (even got one dirty bugger out of the grass) in Gauteng, I've taken it offshore and had LOTS of fun with bonitos (trolling with rapallas) and it has done 4 or 5 species (can't remember, soz) of rock and surf dropshotting (but, the heaviest fish in this category coming in at only 300g). I think the rod is a bit heavy for 1/8oz jigheads, as I get very poor distance when casting (but, I also have only one spool currently filled, with ~6kg mono, have a spool of 14 pound fireline on its way for heavier jigs and will, when the budget allows, replace the mono with 6/8 pound fireline). I think the rod will be well suited for slightly heavier jigheads. I actually threw a 2oz sinker with a  small piece of chokka into an eastuary, no luck with that attempt though. I wouldn't recommend it, however, as the rod felt very strained under that load. Will only give my final verdict on the combo after I've caught my first kingfish with it, hopefully during my next fishing trip end of March. All in all, I think it's a very good combo coming in at ~R850.
 

Homie

Sealiner
:D:D:D

Thanks Guys, I think I'm going for the 7 foot Tica with the daiwa Excellor 2500, Berkley 10lb fireline with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader.

Going down to the North Coast in April, any ideas on what to try for with what size plastics ???

Once again Thanks !
 

Johan S

Senior Member
Homie, I'd go with a thinner fireline on the 2500, say 6 or 8 pounds, or a heavier line, say 14 pound, on a 4000. Not sure if you already have everything purchased.

As for which species to target and with what plastics, I'd like to know as well. Going to Richardsbay end of March, and I have to start stocking baits as well. :)
 

Homie

Sealiner
Hey Johan,
Havent bought all yet,still checkin on tackle dealers. Mia's is quite expensive. Do you know any good dealers in Gauteng ??? Those Berkley Gulps look good, but I'm gonna have to break the bank to get a variety !!! Doesnt help wid it being February, the Missus is expecting something nice ... :)
 

Johan S

Senior Member
Homie, I always print out a quote from www.fishingtackle.co.za (if you want a Daiwa reel) and then use that to start the negotiations. Most tackle shops will give you a discount. Struggling to find a good price on Fireline in SA, so I ordered mine through e-bay. The tackle shops I know, are all in Pta. Some more advice: buy a copy of the Stywe Lyne/Tight Lines. I did it just to get the numbers of all the advertisers, and I thought it was worth it. You are also guaranteed a good price if you buy from Gani's Sportworld in Witbank (they were willing to arrange for delivery to Pta as well). Tel. 013 692 7061 (ask for Husain)
 

Homie

Sealiner
Thanks Johan, will def try them...
Been out of the office for the last two days.. hence the late reply...
 
Top