Beginner tips to find and catch livies

Hi guys

I posted a topic in SAltwater angling by accident as I didn't see this subforum. Basically I was asking you the experts some advice on how to catch livebait from a kayak.

I don't have a finder on my kayak so won't be able to locate reef structures or bait balls. Anyone got some ideas? IF i do find reef what do i use? Yo-zuri? Or a christmas tree trace? Shoot any ideas off at me please.

I'm going to fish in July up at MAssinga MOzambique. Anyone have some marks there? If you please could PM me them or post them on here I would appreciate it. I'm not very good yet so I won't threaten your catches! haha.

Thank you guys.

Cheers
Mozzie
 

BigLes

New member
Hey

Get some sabiki jigs... Put on a 3/4oz sinker and drift over reefs lifting and dropping the rods tip...

In moz the waters are generally very clear so u can see the shallower reef structure.

We also noticed bubbles when going over schools of bait fish.

Hope that helps
 
Hi bigles

Thank you very much. That helped a lot. I didnt know what that rig was called. Thanks. I was trolling on google earth and it seems there's quite a big shallow reef nearby where im gonna be fishing so il definetly try that.

((goodp_

So from what I've seen from some kayakfishing vids, one would use a quite long 40cm or so trace wire to the first single hook, then a small piece of wire with a treble hook. This would be for small livies. Please correct me if im wrong.

I'll stock up on some trace wire, couta dusters, good live bait hooks and trebles and the very important sabiki jigs!! I'll kill some time beforehand making the traces.

Just another question: do you slow trawl(2-4kmph) the livies? And do you trawl only one to prevent tangles and burnoffs or can you do two at a time?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers and::tight:
 
Sorry, just one more question. What bait can one use with a couta trace? Sardines or jap mackrels?

I was thinking of trawling a rapala and a couta trace simultaneously to target different species at the same time. Has anybody else done this? Does it work?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
 

BigLes

New member
Yeah couta traces can be used for macks,sards, and live bait... Put 2 hooks on as we lost a few baits, sliced clean in half. Couta have razor teeth.

The current in Pomene was fairly fast so we mostly drifted with live baits out... So slow trolling will work great!

You can use one bait one lure... I'm quite new to bait fishing and have all the years focused on lures, and successfully too. Moz colours I find work tops would be dorado, pink/purple halco, and bright pink.
 
Shot Big les. Thank you. Thats exactly what i needed
Im sure thqt i'll catch some fish! Do you mean a single hook in the nose and a treble midbody and another in the tail? Cheers mate
 

BigLes

New member
Depending on bait size....
If you get big live baits maybe it would be better??? Surely someone more experienced can advise...

I would atleast position one hook back past half way as we found many live baits sliced in half just behind halfway hook... this could be juveniles, but they sliced it smooth like a knife...
 
U((goodp_

Thanks BigLes. I think I'll do three hooks better safe than sorry. But will have a smaller trace at hand should I catch a small one. Thank you very much. Cheers
 
Hi guys.

Just wanted to ask a stupid beginner question. When using live bait, do troll/ just one live bait? OR can you troll/drift two simultaneously?

Thanks

Cheers
Mozzie
 

belindau

New member
You can go with 2. Down rig one with a sinker and keep one on the surface. Start with one live bait first to get confidence and down rig a dead bait and drift. Hope it works for you.
 
Hi

Thanks for the good advice. Will start with one like you said. Should my dead bait have a duster on or just on a simple live bait trace? Thanks

Cheers
Mozzie
 
Top