T Top for RIB

woerman

BigVan wrote:
Hi Guys

I can recommend Bennie Jordaan in Durban. I am not doing advertising for him but he fitted a t-top to my boat which is far better quality of most T-Tops I have seen. Price was also R10 000 cheaper than the guys up here. Check a previous thread of T-Top by Bennie placed in December for photos.

Cheers

I saw BigVan's T-top and can confirm that Bennie did a great job at a good price

tauruck

Sealiner
Lacost wrote:
I Have a canvas canopy that folds down but the guide rope are always in the way The PVC filled with resin sounds like a plan.

I don't know how the guys do a PVC filled part.

The exotherm (heat) generated by resin in that confined space makes me think that the plastic will go soft and get out of shape not to mention the weight.

The T tops I've seen all have hand grabs for the crew and I don't know how the PVC setup would work.

It's SSteel or Aluminium IMHO.

mo-manack

hi,ive seen bennies t top on his own boat,its fantastic,he'll make it however u want n he's cheaper than most esp for sealiners.

Lacost

Hi Tauruck

I also have my concerns with the PVC detesting and the grab handles are a big concern.

BUT I went and got some PVC pipes and T joints and bends started last night and should finish putting it together this weekend and fill with resin just to see.

I have this feeling Aluminum is the way to go especially with the weight being a factor on a rib

Fishaholic

Hi,

Heres a pic of mine. Bought the duck with it on. Must say, a ttop is really needed on a duck, specially on rough seas, gives you something to hang onto and have some extra rodholders. Mine cannot fold down, but its sturdy. Just also remember to make sure your centre console is properly fixed to deck. Heard of someones centre console partly ripped from the deck at sea, because of the extra weight of ttop and guys hanging on it.

Attachments

• Picture 384.jpg
    Picture 384.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 277

Searaider

Fishaholic awesome setup, about the centre console 3 guys I owned a dive boat with went to blue lagoon to do there skippers and the console broke clean off,there was such pandemonium on the boat that afterwards they were going to name the boat killswitch

Hey Fishaholic.

That is way cool. How about a few more pictures please?

Lacost.

Keep us posted how your PVC Top works out but I think SS is the way to go (?)

Anyone got contact details for Bennie, is he on this forum?

tauruck

Sealiner
Lacost wrote:
Hi Tauruck

I also have my concerns with the PVC detesting and the grab handles are a big concern.

BUT I went and got some PVC pipes and T joints and bends started last night and should finish putting it together this weekend and fill with resin just to see.

I have this feeling Aluminum is the way to go especially with the weight being a factor on a rib

Just use a suitable filler with the resin to prevent the heat build up. Microballoons from AMT would be a first choice.

You'll use way less resin weightwise.

BigVan

Hi Guys

Bennie is not replying because he is fishing at Ponta at the moment. Back next week.

Tight Lines

Lacost

Thanks for the info. I will use the filler .

Priced S steal not so expensive but i will first finish the PVC one just to see.

MouseDog

Call me stupid but .... One thing I noticed and it worries me somewhat, how much shade does the T-top actually provide ON the boat, yes it will be great while standing, but if you sit down, won't the canopy be a little too small to provide shade on the boat??? Surely you will need to position the boat perfectly otherwise all the shade will be casted over the water

Another thing, with a litte bit of wind, won't the T-top cause you to drift of a school of fish too quickly ???

Lacost

My opinion is a little shade is better than none and the drift from the wind can be slowed with a drone . my 2c

Fishaholic

Thanks guys.

I agree it doesn't make a lot of shade, maybe only a small patch on the one pontoon, but on a really hot day with no wind in Moz every bit helps. It also helps a lot in a small drizzle rain, but its main advantage to me is ekstra holding place in big seas and rodholder place and mounting place for radio arial.

Pro-Duck

My canpoy provides shade for 80% of the deck, depending on the sun and direction you travel, but between 11am and 2pm most of the deck is shaded.(this is the hottest time.) On the sea I travel at 18-20 Knots and then the canopy is still stable so I keep it up. Only on the dam or Rivers when traveling fast I put it down( for those short times). I dont really get the statement that its in the way of some guys, mine isnt a problem at all.

Lacost

tauruck wrote:
Lacost wrote:
Hi Tauruck

Just use a suitable filler with the resin to prevent the heat build up. Microballoons from AMT would be a first choice.

Hi guys

Started with the PVC but I am starting to loose faith the more I think about the forces the T Top must withstand the less I think the filled PVC will hold.

BUT I will complete the  project just to see Will post pics as soon as finished.

tauruck

Sealiner
Lacost wrote:
tauruck wrote:
Lacost wrote:
Hi Tauruck

Hi guys

Started with the PVC but I am starting to loose faith the more I think about the forces the T Top must withstand the less I think the filled PVC will hold.

BUT I will complete the  project just to see Will post pics as soon as finished.

Everything's about money. If you've got it you buy, if you don't you make. 

There's a trade off here.

You're in Pta and I'm in Jhb.

I'll help you bru.

It's obvious you can graft with your hands but if the pvc project goes south you can get in touch.

The bottom line is safety.

If you're prepared to get your hands dirty I've got the tools etc to make a metal T top.

Lacost

tauruck wrote:
Lacost wrote:
tauruck wrote:
Lacost wrote:
Hi Tauruck

Hi guys

Everything's about money. If you've got it you buy, if you don't you make. 

There's a trade off here.

You're in Pta and I'm in Jhb.

I'll help you bru.

It's obvious you can graft with your hands but if the pvc project goes south you can get in touch.

The bottom line is safety.

If you're prepared to get your hands dirty I've got the tools etc to make a metal T top.

Hi Tauruck

The safety is first priority

Getting my hands dirty is not a problem I am a toolmaker by trade

The cost saving between PVC filled with Resin is not that much cheaper than S Steel.

I will give a shout if the project goes South

Thanks