Some advice needed

Wianhm

Good day guys,

I am not sure if I am posting in the right section about this, if not I'll take it down and re-post in the correct place.

I borrowed my Grandwave 40 to one of my fishing buddies after he lost his torium 30. After a few weeks I asked to use my GW40, because I hate using my new torium on the rocks.

I was at work and he was on his way fishing so I asked him to drop it off at his neighbors (my parents) and he decided to try and hide it in my complex'es mailbox. He could fit the reel in and decided to hide it in a bush at a random house in the street.

I was completely against this, I told him not to leave it there, he ignored my messages. I started calling him and he Ignored all my calls (48 in total - yes I know that's a lot). So I took off work early to rush to get my reel.

Guess what...

By the time I got there the reel was missing, After that I get a message saying "sorry busy fishing".

I told him the reel is missing and he refuses to believe that, he said he hid it too well to be found. He starts blaming me that I'm not looking well enough, he refuses to help me look for it.

I asked him for an apology and he refuses to apologize, because apparently I am not looking well enough. He is only willing to give me R900 as compensation for the reel. To be honest all I want is for him to man up, accept the consequences and apologize. I don't care about compensation.

I'm disgusted. I want to give him a life lesson, legally what actions can I take against him?

I apologize for the long read, I've added some screen shot of the conversation. (I used some strong language, I was absolutely furious)

TimJan

Sealiner
In today's society i cant tell you what to do or even what I would have done. But casting for the person doing this to me would be a problem in the future.

But it is obvious he lost the reel and is making up this "story" to try and deflect what he did. Even if the reel is really there and you don't see it it is completely irresponsible to leave someone else's property in a strangers property after you told them its not a valid place.

He might offer you the R900 but doubt he will ever pay it over? He might place it in the same place for you to pick up. Say goodbye to your reel and the money and to the "friend".

eisch

certain things you do not loan to people.
fishing equipment
wife
vehicles

a bad lesson learnt indeed.

to all, take heed of this!!!!
rather get a new fishing partner.

I could give you other advise,.....but its not recommended on a public forum!!

all the best

Psy

Sealiner
We appreciate your concern, however this is not the place to vent your frustration.
I suggest you clear your attachments as this is a family site and obscene language is not allowed.
::tight:

Psy

Sealiner
willem wikkel spies wrote:
eisch

certain things you do not loan to people.
fishing equipment
wife
vehicles

a bad lesson learnt indeed.

to all, take heed of this!!!!
rather get a new fishing partner.

I could give you other advise,.....but its not recommended on a public forum!!
all the best

Include the root of all evil there....Money!!
::tight:

Keith T

Take the R900 and say goodbye to the 'friend'
If he was prepared to offer you the R900 without coming to actually show you exactly where he hid it (and the fact that he was so keen to hide it and not leave where requested to do), means he is lying to you finish-n-klaar.
Lesson learnt unfortunately, so move on and don't waste more emotional energy on it. He doesn't deserve it

plugger

If he sent you the R900 offer via Whatsapp or message , keep it and take him to small claims court. They'll make him pay you out what the reel is worth

MichaelK

Sealiner
I tend to agree with KiethT

Take the R900 and have nothing more to do with this individual.

Clearly he has taken advantage of your good nature and no doudt will do so again in the future.

Grayfish

Go to your local Magistrates Court and speak to the Clerk of the Small Claims Court. He/she will assist you in issuing a letter of demand and, failing payment of the value of the reel, a summons.

Wianhm

Thanks for the input, I have decided to go through the small claims court. If that fails I'll just write it off to school fees