Snoek from the side

Houtarm

Duckbill there was alot of snoek around last year Dec, don't know about more recently.

You definitely don't need heavy tackle to catch these miniature snoekies.

Just a heads up, the Chinese Snoek one catches at Hermanus is just undersize Cape Snoek. They are extremely fragile and die very quickly when handeled. I know the inspectors have fined people on the wall for having Chinese Snoek in their possession.Many of the locals on the wall also don't appreciate the snoek targetting because they believe most die after being caught.

Have seen people trying to catch maasbanker on sabiki rig when the snoek come through... Total choas

duckbill

Thanks for the heads up Houtarm. Do the locals consume the maasbanker or do they use them as bait? I recall my nephew catching what could have been either a maasbanker or makriel from the harbour wall in Gordon's Bay some 10 years ago. We slid it out in the Southern Cape a few months later (back then we copied everything we saw on the fishing shows on Supersport). Long story short, this resulted in a big gully shark.

Houtarm

I think some use them for bait and some eat them. I think boys from Zwelihle come down to the harbour to catch them for food, but some local anglers and Capetonians catch them for bait as well.

I know some makriel have been caught there from the wall, but I have only seen/ caught mullet and maasbanker. The maasbanker make good bait yes.

::tight: