Roodeplaatdam

Droomvanger

I visisted Roodeplaat Dam on 19 March trying to catch what ever is available, barbel, bass, carp, blue, canary, etc. The dam is 100% full and the hyacinth is largely under control. However that is where the good news ends. The Hyacinth have been sprayed about a month ago causing hundreds of tons of hyacinth now rotting on the bottom of the dam The rotting turned the water into a compost factory, with a green and browned coloured water. The decomposing rotten hyacinth taking the oxigen out of the water. Barble will easier adopt under the current circumstances than most other fish species.   We saw very little fish activity and have not caught a single fish. It appears that the fish is under enormeous stress and in survival mode. Untill this process has completed (decomposiing) and plenty new water went throught the sysyem, I see hardshipp for the fish and the anglers, especially through the winter. Justice Angling club had a competition on the day and only managed to catch two small carp for the day. I visited both legs of the dam with a boat and it is not a good sight. And the problem is caused by the neglect of Water Affiars to keep the hyacinth danger under control when it started. Spraying of tons of hyacinth has a huge detrimantal effect on the water quality and the aquatic life. SAd story.:(

Glenn

Sealiner
@ Droomvanger

How long will it take to clear?? Will they have to re-stock the damm?

It's very sad.. A similar thing happened over here in one of the river's and the oxygen was that bad in the river than the fish where jumping out onto the bank to try and catch there breath.

Very sad indeed.

Droomvanger

Hi Glenn. The fish are not dying but are under stres. That is why they are not biting. I spoke to one of the regulars fishing the dam daily. He said that that since the spraying he caught very few fish.

Glenn

Sealiner
Yes.. I know they aren't dying.. but it will eventually cause loss in the weaker fish & they won't survive the change..

I do hope that the problem change's for you in a while and that they come on the bite again.. Have you try'd baiting them with catapult at all? If not worth a try.. OR bomb them with feed and do it for a few day's in the area's of choice.

fannie

Banned
The gauteng dams are all in a similar sorry state. Harties with it's sewage and chemicals, roodekoppies had 15 tons of macril died due to chemicals dumped.

Las two times I saw Roodeplaat the first the dam was about 10m below the launch strip and the water was one green pea soup mass.

The last time it was totally covered with hyasinth If the hyasinth is not killed, it takes most of the oxygen from the water and the fish dies. Soon it will be winter and the cold will takes it's toll once again.

In the old days there was fish in these dams. Bues were in schools the size of your yard, baking in the afternoon sun. I wonder how many of you can remember that. The ones you caught was 1.5 to 2.5kg. Off late you are lucky to get one 150mm.

Another thing is the amount of blues with one blind eye, I saw a few in a short while, can't remember seeing that before and don't know what caused it.

Droomvanger

I am an artlure angler target all species. So not to good with bait angling, but the bait anglers also suffer. @Fanie
the son causes the blindness of blues kurper. It starts with one eye, then both eyes and ending in starvation. The reason is not clear, but is related to water pollution, causing the swimbladder of the fish filling with too much gas and the kurper keeping on the surface all time. The son takes its toll on the eyes of the fish that kind escape out of the son's reach. Luckilly, we found less blind kurper the past season at Vaalkop, Klipvoorm, Renosterkop and Loskop. The numbers of kurpers are down at Roodekopjes.

Unlimited

Sealiner
hyacinth takes 3 times more water than the sun per day... it also doubles after 15 days... meaning if you have 1000 hyacinth plants on the water, 15 days later ull have 2000... and by breaking a leaf of, that juice that dripis into the water contains very small seed as well.

if someone can kill hyacinth without hurting the environment... he will become a billionaire seeing that it is a global problem....

WalkersKiller

Thats bad news, I dont know whats happening to the dams in Gauteng at the moment and it seems that the authorities dont care!

Unlimited

Sealiner
theyve been using biological methods in australia and some other islands around the world... the little bugs get incorporated into the hycinth system and then it takes 2-6 years before the results become evident... the bug eats holes into the hyacinth and the it sinks down to the bottem of the dam... still not the best option but at least its not on the water... they must create some sort of a genetic virus that attacks thjis plant only.. far fetched i know... but that would suuuure be awesome.

does vaaldam have hyacinth? was there years ago before this problem started.

Bigmouth

Hi Daar,

Ek was gou by Roodeplaat vir 'n quick 2 hour session.

Die dam is verskriklik vuil.

I managed to land one 4.74kg barbel on a firetiger rattletrap.

What is going on with Gauteng's dams????

Vasfontein, Roodeplaat not a pretty sight at the moment.

Attachments

• 24032010228r.jpg
    24032010228r.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 194

Otto

Hi all,

I zipped in at Roodeplaat 6 weeks ago for a quick bit of fun one afternoon. Well firstly the guy at the gate was not too interested in attending to me, it seemed like I had disturbed his siesta. When I got to the waters edge it was a sight for sore eyes. Green and smelly. There was a guy in his waders trying to fish with fly, everytime his line came back to him he was showered in green algae. I tried for some kurper with a float and did not even get a peck. I tried to wash my hands at the ablutions, NO WATER. Ag nee man theres just no management whatsoever. Sad, Roodeplaat will probably not see me in a hurry.

Bigmouth

And the SAD part is that the entry fee is going up the 1st of April from R38.00 to R50.00.

What the hell are they doing with the entrance fees?

Glenn

Sealiner
WalkersKiller wrote:
Thats bad news, I dont know whats happening to the dams in Gauteng at the moment and it seems that the authorities dont care!

The authorite's have NEVER cared! But thing's have changed over here now.. With alot of foreign people who eat fish (Any Fish to that matter) And kill swan's for dinner as well.. which make's me angry..The balliff's are out in full force because of this.. which is good to see.

Bigmouth

Unlimited wrote:
jhust a quick one.. how do u retrieve the rattletrap? do u let it sink to the bottom or what do u do?

Slow retrieve,

The rattletrap should run just off the bottom without catching too much slick and rotten hiasinth.

Not too fast and not too slow.

Hope this helps