Rig construction

MarvelousMark

Mad carper thanks for that its much appreciated, i have now learnt something worthwhile and will take your advice..!

To me knowing why somthing is desighned the way it is, is one of the more difficult things to find out, but offers you piece of mind when you eventualy do..::S

Have some mana....!!!!

CraigM

Perhaps KUSAF is referring to the Korda hook pattern called Choddy... I was also under the impression that choddy was another term for the chod rig itself... check out the Korda web site

MadCarper

Sealiner
Choddy is basically a variation of a helicopter rig. It consists of a short stiff flourocarbon pop-up rig, normally with the flourocarbon hooklink shaped in a curve, that is mounted on a piece of leadcore.  The idea is that the pop-up will stand up above debri like sticks and dead leaves on the bottom or if you're fishing over some silt... its a good anti-tangle rig.

I've used it, but dont really fancy it.... hehehe...

Attachments

• chod-rig.jpg
    chod-rig.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 969

naafty

Thanks for all the above guys. I have been fishing for about a month. Caught one 4kg+ Carp that got away because the Rietvlei trace I bought at a fishing tackle store had the line pull through the hook's eye. Nearly had a heart attack. My first and only Carp ever. Friend weighed it as it came off out the water en when he let go the drop was too much for the 'made in Taiwan' knot.
I have a fantastic spot next to the Modder river outside of Bloemfontein where apparently 60% of the Carp and Baber are too big to land. (according the the two SA Anglers I have spoken to). So I am trying. I am so keen I was at the river on 16 June at 06H20 and it was -8°C. The info on rigs are great and I do all my rigs myself now. Own knots!

armandw

Gents

Just for interest sake, how do you keep you bait area going with the choddy? I have ways to do it but would like to know how you guys do it.

By the way I do not mean a boat.

wedontplay

Hi guys, thanks for all the great advice!

Forgive me if this has been asked before. Does the sinker need to be a specimen sinker? I saw in the photos a few posts back that the sinker being used is just an anordinary sinker. Is it essential that your lead is camoflaged?

MadCarper

Sealiner
Hi wedontplay. Only saw you posted here.

You dont need to use specimen weights. I used P5 and P6 sinkers for some time and more recently I bought uncoated "dumpy-pear" shaped weights from the saltwater section at the tackle shop. Theyre cheap and do the same job.

Every specimen carp angler has his own views on camounflaging your weights. I would say if the water is crystal clear and the carp are fished for alot, it might help to use camo weights. But in general you dont need to. The main thing is just to take the shine of the weights first... you can do this by keeping the weights in the mud in the shallow water for a night or two... I used uncoated weights alot and it really made no difference...

wedontplay

Good to know, those camo leads look really cool, but they cost an arm and a leg... Especially when u will probably use a lead clip and eventually loose them in the process anyway!

MadCarper

Sealiner
Especially the imported weights! I remember seeing a pack of 3 Fox weights in a shop for R45!!!! That is madness considering you will only use them once and then lose it in the dam.

iggy

Sealiner
MarvelousMark wrote:
OK...So whats a choddy..?

Mark I have a question: In your pic of the hair rig you posted, won't it be safer to use a barrel on your hooklink instead of just using a fig 8 knot on your hooklink to mainline?

I'm also trying the specimen approach as its way more Carp safe! I was about to join a Angling club but just found out they papgooiers only and no hair rigs, alarmpods etc allowed. I would love to join a club that does specimen in the Westrand area!

Great post guys, soooo much to learn still...lol

Rolly

Im quiet new in the fishimg game but it is very exciting, my question is what is the best way to put dough on the hooks, they are quiet small and struggle putting it on. Any suggestions?:ifishin

wedontplay

I like taking a small amount in the palm of my hand and then rolling it into a small worm-like shape, then wrapping it around the hook all the way so the entire hook is covered. It's easy to do with a little practise. (Make sure the dough you're using is firm, not sloppy. Adding too much water to the mixture will make it difficult to work with. If it's too sloppy just add more flour. Think bread dough when you make it.)

Eighty5ix

Ek is ok maar nuut in die spesie ding maar hierdie drie videos het my nogal baie gehelp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFDmZkUT4QQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBFUBXei6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoZTC3yVQak

Mooi Bly

plonk62

Specimen carp Rigs
I have recently started specimen fishing and have experienced a bit of rig failure /understanding or should we say rig mechanics and obtained the Korda dvd that helped a lot ,I am aware that they fish in international waters ,but just to get the basics right is far better the guessing and spending a lot of money ,On the other hand I have been trying to find what weight works best with witch rig for our waters. So if some one out there can help or pm me it will be great.

Or you can call me
060 508 9946

Ruds 1982

I had a fox book showing you alot of diffrent rigs. Ended up giveing it away. Thing with SA waters is keep it simple. ;)