Mitsubishi Outlander Vs Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4-D

Carpkiller

Hi guys, in bit of a pickle here. Wana buy a lekker SUV soon but don't know what to get! I'm a toyota fan but the price is hectic. Was looking at the outlander which has tons of features but is an AWD. What do you guys think. Think about price, resale value, ruggedness, maintenance costs etc

caesar

Think about price, resale value, ruggedness, maintenance costs

If that is what you want, then it is a no brainer, the toyota.

dugongboy

Sealiner
I have a Fortuner and love it,fantastic vehicle..... need it for the towing/boat/beach, if you don't then the softroader could be ok, especially if you drive a lot for work (rep etc....)as the drive is more car like.

FeedingFrenzy

Those days are over!  Toyota is the new Mazda.  Unreliable and tinny - have you driven a new Hilux d4x4 lately - a mossie dents the panels!  I would suggest looking at other Mitsubishi models tho - the Outlander is heavy on fuel

Gavin Luke

I had an Outlander... If you going to tow a boat or trailer, DON'T BUY IT!!! It is massively heavy on fuel, got about 4.5km/l. I sold it and bought a Pajero 3.8 petrol and believe it or not get a much better fuel economy. Go read on 4x4community.co.za good read if you want to buy a 4x4... you get to read all the good and bad that people experience with their SUV's.

DocPhil

The Pajero Sport is in the same class as the Fortuner.

The Outlander is a smaller SUV class vehicle. I have a Mitsubishi Challenger (what the Pajero Sport is called here in Oz) and it is an awesome vehicle. Loads of power, luxurious inside, good quality fittings, excellent offroad etc. You can't get the Fortuner over here but I have driven a mate's one in South Africa. Not much difference between them in practical terms I reckon. In terms of resale value Toyota always wins. At least that's how it is here.

My wife has a new Nissan XTrail St-L. Also a fantastic vehicle, plenty power, excellent fittings, good offroad. Not that much towing power, but good enough for small boats, trailers, caravans etc.

Think about what you want the vehicle to do and buy accordingly, or you will end up wasting money.

Doc