Mbotyi

Joogs

Going to fish at Mbotyi in a couple of weeks time,it will be my first time fishing there.Anyone got info /advise on fishing this part of the Wild Coast?

MickJack

Light Tackle:

In the Lagoon - Grunter, rock salmon, kob.

Bait: Mud prawn, sardine, live glassies.

At the mouth and point - Shad, kob, stumpie, bronze bream etc. Popular with fly and dropshot guys! There are quite a few Kob around there now in the 2/3 Kg range.

South from there are many rock points and gullies all very fishable, the most famous of them being Shark Point (4x4 or else quite a walk along the trail). Midway between the mouth and Shark Point is a spot called Cotton Rocks (or various other names like Cortis Rocks) but there is a bronze plaque cemented onto the rock formation. If you find that then youv'e got the spot. This has good deep water in front and two deep gullies on either side..plenty of BIG crayfish. Expect to catch anything here on light and heavy. Good sliding spot with big bait for Shark, and excellent spot for big Kob in June/July - use Chokka/ Bonnie Fillet/ live and dead Mullet. (Get live mullet in the lagoon before you go)

Shark point has everything for light and heavy. Shad,bronze bream, garrick, Big and small shark, big and small kob.

For first timer, I definitely suggest get a gilly or two on the first day and use him/them for the whole stay. The 13/14 yr old ones there are really clued up and helpful, and can carry heavy loads for long distances too, as small as they are! Look for a guy called Strong, use him and his brother. Try and not be swamped by these guys....be firm but fair!

Good luck

MickJack

Strong and DiDi are the names of gilly boys that you should try and use while you are there. There are a couple of really good ones, I just can't think of their names right now! I think Strong's brother's name is Star.

Noweeds

Sealiner
Just beware of giving them any tackle that you really treasure......they get the fever when the shad come on the boil and are not scared to put scratches in rods and reels........they can however catch livebait like machines!!!!

Joogs

I had similar problems at Hole in the Wall and Brazenhead in the past. I now take along cheepo grinders and my old sticks for the gillies to use . That way , I dont have the heeby jeebies especially when shad are boiling and sense gets thrown out of the window.

Noweeds

Sealiner
Be sure to put in some effort at shark point. In december we got a span of hammers off there. I hooked 2 fish which were totally unstoppable. We saw cuda jumping 50m off the rocks and a shoal of 5 shad cruised passed not one of which was under 8 kilos!!!

Fishing Meister

We did that at Black Rock in Kosi bay. Had a gillie called Bobo, Left him a Elbe reel, Loomis rod and 600m of line. I swear i thought the oke was going to cry he was so happy.

Joogs

Fishing memories hardly fade......we had crappy weather for a coupla days so hardly fished , but on the days we did fish , spent most of the time at shark point and man , did those blacktips give us a beating on every outing.The max strength of the wire we had was 100lb , and on almost every hook -up , this was like floss cotton for those sharks .

The beauty of shark point is you can get shad on the shore facing side for livies without a hassle.

Its a wonderful spot , with whales swimming by daily , almost within touching distance

So ,be warned.....

Fishing Meister

Nice joogs .. :shark

Will tackle up. have had some experience with black tips before .....:fst:

I'm battling to find camping accommodation in the area. where did you stay when you were down there.