Head vs Fillet vs Whole Fish

Ant86

Sealiner
joekin wrote:
and also would you reckon the line needs to me far out??

1) Havent fished with an Alivio before so cant comment on whether it could take a 20 kg cat,

2) Taking line far out is not the solution to getting big cats...Finding the right spot is more relevant ie most of my fishing is in rivers, finding the old river bed is way more productive than just randomly taking your line out 200m plus just for the sake of it.

try and find holes or drop offs in a dam, this would then determine how far you need to take your line out.

tight lines ant

Cheetha FS

Sealiner
joekin wrote:
and also would you reckon the line needs to me far out??
Ur rodds wil work fine aslog as u keep some distance between u and the fish when close to the side cause it might just snap the tip. Also any line from 4.5kg upwards is good but will demand allot of patience as cats tend to have one last big burst of energy. So always keep the dragg loose. I am currently useing Team Catfish braid of 50 pounds and that work like a dream. Its a floating casting braid so it work very whell for big cats and distance. Another thing with distance that u asked about is that one only needs to find deep holes so that can be close to shore or far out. I always set one line far in a old river bed or a very deep hole far away from noise ect. and one at casting distance were they might bask in the sun or be hunting for small baitfish wich tends to be closer to shore for protection.

nobbles

I agree with ant and cheetha. Any one can take a line far out, yes you will catch. But rather spend more time looking for holes, structure and drop offs. You may take time finding them, but my moto is less time in a more productive area than a lot of time wasted in a kak area.

You can inject the fish head with ox blood but don't over do it. It will get picked up, but try be as natural as possible.I use the TeamCatfish dead red spray. 2 squirts and that's enough. To much and the fish may know its a trap.

joekin

Bough myself a 12" rod, a bit stiffer then my Shimanos.

But it didnt see any action :-(

Anybody going BArbel fishing next month in the gauteng area that could teach me a thing or two??

joekin

So was a slow weekend, Had a 20ch muddiw out for the cats.

Tail and fins cut off, gill plate cut off, and sprayed with chicken blood.

Line was in the about 80m, and i left it from saturday to yesterday. and nothing......

most fish were small Muddies and Carps.

One carp of +- 4kg, and a Grass carp of about 3kg.

Reckon the fish must be on the spawn.

nobbles

Hi joe,

Can you describe the area you dropped the bait, did you see any activity there, was there structure, how deep was it, temp of water that sort of thing. What was the reason behind putting the bait there. Also if you dont get on the big bait, put out smaller baits, try and find where they are swimming.

joekin

we got there rather late and was the only spot available, no idea on depth, temp. No structures though.

In the morning did see alot of activity close to shore, but couldnt tell it it was carps or barbels, looked like it was small fish.

With regards to bait size, i also regularly put in a line with chicken hearts, also not a single nibble