Corumana - Beware

gapsoft

Hi, being new to this please bear with me, but I think the information here can at least help others to avoid the pitfalls and cons we have just experienced on our recent trip to Corumana Dam in Mozambique.

Our trip was planned through a company operating out of Centurion and was costed in at R950.00 per person per day.

We were also told the that the best times to fish were from and I quote directly from their email to us: "
“July is a very good time for Tigerfishing in Mozambique.  Most of our big fish are caught in the winter months as the weather is alot more stable than in the summer months.”

Being there and fishing there last week, I somehow find it hard to believe, we caught in 4 days, three tigers max size 800gms, 4 minute tigers of about 10cm. We fished about 6 - 7 hours non stop each day, at the river below the dam and also in the dam itself.

I do know that big tigers have been taken here but I dont think in the type of quantities and sizes being bandied about by these guys,

however there is never a guarantee to catch fish no matter how good the conditions and place, but one thing is that at least you get what you're paying for, namely:

1. An experienced guide. Cant say our guide instilled any confidence in us with regards to fishing experience and know how of the dam or tiger fishing.

2. Decent accommodation, ( We originally booked for 5 persons which was organised with the operator but the 5th guy fell out before we left so we confirmed the 4 guys with them.

The accommodation itself is in the old Italian Camp where the dam builders had stayed and can be loosely described as a type of compound.

We arrived only to find out that firstly the camp is about 2km from the dam itself, this was not conveyed in anyway to us before departure. There were only three beds and we were told that the other beds had been pinched so one of us had to sleep on a basic stretcher.

The dining room chairs had to be sat on carefully to avoid them falling apart

Food that you'd normally expect for the pricing (Not that some of the food was not excellent, but throwing in burgers that we had to make ourselves just shows their lack of tourism knowledge)

Not being properly prepared to offer what we paid for (lack of petrol, no bed, f@#$%d up toilet, dining room chairs, only 3 people to shower before having to wait, 1 toilet between 6 or more  guests

Guides and clients sleeping together also very unprofessional in this type of environment

But what f#$%@s my mind even more is that I never said anything to the guy, I think due to him having his son there may have been the factor but it was totally a f$@* up and I am putting this up on the web not to try and mess up anybody's businesses or opportunities to make money and deliver a service, but to warn any prospective fishermen that these guys are just a plain con trick which you cannot deal with once you're there as the money has already been paid and you have no recourse in not paying the balance.

I hope this helps somebody out there when considering a trip to Corumana make sure of the items I have listed as they are very carefully avoided when you book.

Really disappointed

Stones

Thanks gapsoft. Sorry you had a bad experience and what you thought would be a great trip, with hard earned money!

Peees me off just you talking about it, although never been there!

adiXion

Hi

I hope we dont have the same experiance had.

We have a trip booked in December for 4 days on the Dam. We have booked through and staying with a guy called Steve from http://wackemfishing.co.za

We have also been charged R950 a day including breakfast and dinner and 25L of petrol a day. Ive emailed him and asked him give me his view. Ill post his response once i get it.

Can anyone else comment on the DAM??

Andrew

spongebobxxx

Sorry boet

I will never go there I cant stand it when people do that You work hard for your money and people just LIE and cheet you out of it

Tigerman

1. I firmly stand by my statement that the biggest fish have been caught
in the winter months 4.5 - 8.2kg's.  The smaller shoaling tigers 2-4kg's
are readily caught in the summer months.  The fact that Corumana has
experienced it's coldest winter in many years as confirmed by the Ara Sul
(Water Affairs) officials to me in a meeting that I had with them just two
days ago, was sure to have a negative affect on the fishing and of course
something that I could not have predicted in advance.
2. I don't know why the client mentioned the 10cm tigers, because that's
exactly what we were targeting at the time for live bait with tiny
spinners!
3. As far as the guide is concerned (myself), I do know the dam and river
very well and have fished them extensively, but when fishing conditions
are as bad as they were, we improvised by trying live bait, drift bait,
bream fillets etc.  Nothing seemed to work as the fish were just not
feeding, period! Had fishing conditions been better and the client had
caught alot of fish, he would probably have felt differently.
4. As far as the accommodation is concerned, on the website it does state
"rustic" and "prefab style" not 5 star accommodation, which sounds as
though this is what the client was expecting.
5. As far as the bed is concerned, I would like to again apologise to the
client as I did apologise to him, when he was there.  What happened was
Sasol gas pipeline contract workers have rented all the accommodation
available in the village and in my absence Ara Sul (Water Affairs) removed
one of the beds out of our Casa to accommodate the big Sasol group.  I
kicked up a huge fuss with the Camp Management as I had not been informed
of this by them, and had I known this was going to happen, I would have
taken an extra bed with me when I left SA.  I am leaving SA again next
week and am taking two extra beds with me, to avoid this kind of
situation. Once again I apologise.
6. The dining room chairs and all the furniture in the casa are the
property of Ara Sul (Water Affairs), and not supplied by me. Thanks for
mentioning this. I will be taking down suitable chairs with me, next week.
7. Regarding the hamburgers. We have found that it is not a good idea to
give the clients a completed hamburger, as not all eat cheese, or onion
etc.  Therefore it was decided to put out all the ingredients and let them
assemble their own hamburgers. We furthermore have excellent food like,
potjiekos, espetadas, steaks, chops etc etc.
However, I will scrap hamburgers from the menu, to prevent further
unhappiness, although this client has been the first to complain, other
clients have loved our famous Corumana burgers, except for the fact that
it was suggested before that we do not make up the hamburgers, but leave
the clients to make them up. It just goes to show that one cannot keep
everyone happy and I am sure this is the case with all who have lodges or
hotels.
8. On the website it states that we give the first tank of fuel, which is
what I had when the client arrived!  Therefore our obligation was
fulfilled.  However, when the boat required additional fuel, the filling
station had no fuel available, I did manage to obtain some fuel from a
another source, not far from the camp, which seemed to be diluted but risked our boat motor in putting this fuel in to accommodate the clients. I am not sure if the fuel shortage had to do with the strikes in SA, as there was also no fuel.  We have however, in the past brought more fuel with us, but have encountered serious problems at the border with excess fuel, therefore we can give one tank of fuel as
again mentioned on our website.
9. The toilet seat is broken and has been taped up.  I have complained to
Ara Sul (Water Affairs) on numerous occassions about this, but nothing
has been done.  I will just replace the damn thing myself.
10. Having no other accommodation available due to Sasol, we had no choice
but to share the casa with the clients, this however is not the norm.  I
apologise for this, but I didn't know about the lack of accommodation.
11. I can understand and accept some of the points raised.  What I take
exception to is the use of the word "Con".  I resent that remark and find
it unnecessary.  To also use my son (who is 19 and not 6) as an excuse not
to have confronted me and then to come back to SA and put such a horrible
message on the web, to me is unacceptable.

We have taken note of all his complaints whether valid or not, and will
take extra care to up our level of service were applicable, this is the
first complaint we have had!

Corumana remains an excellent tiger fishing destination that is close to SA.  I
have spent a week on the Zambezi and not caught a single fish. Shit
happens!

In my opinion fisherman that complain about having to assemble his own hamburger and dining room chairs, should not go fishing in Mozambique and rather take up knitting!

FishWhisperer

Good response, no pissing around the subject - direct and to the point. *thumbs up*

Best of luck with the business Tigerman, hope to vist one day (hopefully when the fishing is on ;))

FRITZABU

Sealiner
Tigerman

Seeing you are removing your "Corumana hamburger" from your menu. May I suggest you try my " Suidwes burger " ??

It consist of 2 x Weet-bix blocks , with a nice slice of Bully Beef between them .As it tend to be a bid on the dry side ,a coke or 2 do the trick,at least its very filling !!!!

Tigerman

LOL !!!

God forbid, can you imagine if I gave the dude that for dinner !! I think I might try giving that to guys as Babalas brekkie !! Not that its gonna help for the babalas... but might make them think twice about getting so frot again !!??   :beer

Stones

Where is the Gapsoft response to Tigerman?

Always interesting to hear both sides of the story........hmmmmm ::pop:?

Corumana

We have also been charged R950 a day including breakfast and dinner and 25L of petrol a day. Ive emailed him and asked him give me his view. Ill post his response once i get it.

Can anyone else comment on the DAM??

Andrew

We run a very successful lodge on the dam and I do not or can not comment on the other outfitter on the dam. I can speak from what I heard though and it looks like what I have heard is true.

I booked some clients earlier this year and they thought I was from this company. I was not. We are a registered fishing/hunting company in Mozambique and do not work from the "Italian Camp' This is not a fishing lodge where these people operate from. It is government property a couple of Km's from the dam. I do not believe these guys are registered in Mozambique to! I can not find the registration of any such company in the Government Gazette. If you are caught fishing with these people it is considered an illegal business and being Mozambique you will be in big trouble.

Somebody mentioned that Pvt boats are not allowed. It is total nonsense! I believe these guys is/are trying to keep the dam to themselves. We allow pvt boats if you are willing to pay the duties and registration fees and stick to the rules and regulations. Corumana Dam is an excellent tiger-fishing venue. I fished the Zambezi, Jozini, Kariba and all and Corumana is up to standard with all these places. Netting is a bit of an issue but during Tiger season no other fishing is allowed. There is some nets in the water that is left behind and can cause some problems.

. I firmly stand by my statement that the biggest fish have been caught
in the winter months 4.5 - 8.2kg's.

Above is bull (you know what!!!) Females are the bigger fish and they grow to that weight in summer only! Tigers do not take bait easy in winter.

I like this one!

Corumana remains an excellent tiger fishing destination that is close to SA. I
have spent a week on the Zambezi and not caught a single fish. Shit
happens!

Sure it was the Zambezi, I tend to catch plenty tigers there! 6-8kg. That is if you know how!

Corumana

We were also told the that the best times to fish were from and I quote directly from their email to us: "
“July is a very good time for Tigerfishing in Mozambique. Most of our big fish are caught in the winter months as the weather is alot more stable than in the summer months.”

Ouch! The dam was flooding just about everything around it this year. Our camp was halfway under water. The inlet of the dam pushes back into the Kruger Park (best fishing spot if the dam is low)Winter is the worst time!!!! Our fish-finders picked the fish up in 9 meters water.

Corumana

I spoke to my dad just now. He is permanently at the dam in the camp. No fish is biting yet! The dam will be low enough by October to get a good flow of water at the inlet. This is where you catch the big ones if the hippo's are not there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4DTTBrFOQ some video and pictures on youtube of fishing and hunting.

Offering the first tank of fuel is fine, make sure you have enough when you run out. The fuel station at Sabie is almost always out of fuel, taking fuel accros the border is a very bad idea, taxes are heavy. get 210l drums from Maputo.