Catching fish with lures/hooks already in their mouths

-dave

Every now and then one gets away, either because your line snapped or your knot failed, so there must be a couple of fish out there swimming around with some bling in their faces (lures/hooks/etc).

Has anyone ever caught a fish that came with a bonus prize like a free lure? I wonder what the odds are?

Vleipadda

Ive caught a good couple of fish with the trace still in their mouth , and hooked the trace not the the fish

Dorado75

Sealiner
Plenty!! When you catch snoek you frequently find hooks in their mouths and inside their bellies, have even caught a few with spinners hanging from their mouths!

Sorry guys only noticed now that this is the freshwater section......

Sukkel maar

I don't think that matters Dorado. Still on the same topic.

I haven't caught a fish with something stuck to it on my own line , but I have caught 3 nice carps by pulling loose line lying around in or out the water with the carp still on the line , but tired as hell.

DWB

Sealiner
Ive caught the same barbel in one night where it managed to break my trace and then caught it later with my hook still in its mouth

Caught a couta in Ponta d'Ouro with a kendal round in its belly.
Caught a huge moggel in Klipdrift....where a vaaldam trace was stuck in the fishes mouth and my 0.8 daiichi hooked the P3 sinker's copper ring as the fish swam past and resulted in a reel run. Happened during a comp and boy were the okes upset! ::S

sharon29

Ive caught a nice trout with a red and black wooly bugger in its mouth- and caught quite a few catfish and carps with just single hooks in their mouth..although the strangest of all was that I caught a small kurper at hartebeespoort -it had two hooks in its mouth: one as my mainline, the other snagged some where further out.

adam5016

Sealiner
DWB wrote:
Ive caught the same barbel in one night where it managed to break my trace and then caught it later with my hook still in its mouth

Sry also saltwater, but more or less the same thing happened to me. Went fishing at eersterivier(EC) about a month ago and was bitten off 5 times by elf in less than an hour. In that same hour I caught a elf with one of my hooks in its mouth. Strange enough I have caught a couple of blacktail as well with broken off traces.