casting a scarborough

Foxhat

1/You hold the rod in your right hand, above the reel with the handles facing down if you hold the rod horizontally.
2/The light weight free length needs to be about the length of the rod when you lift the rod vertically.
3/The light weight would follow a swinging ark similar to if you were going to simulate a "coming over from the left throw"
4/ Using the index finger of the left hand and during the throw you pull down hard on the left hand at about 45 degrees on the line, whilst committing to the cast with the right hand only.
note:- you do not hold the line with the left hand. The index finger is merely over the line so you are pulling both on the lightweight and the reel whilst throwing, and it has to flow.
5/ You feather the reel with the left hand to avoid an obvious over-wind as by now the reel is spinning really fast and the lightweight fly's really slow.

I hope this helps you somewhat as throwing a scarborough is similar to learning to surf, it's not easy as an adult.

I can throw a small piece of floating bread with just a single hook about 40 metres.

Off Inyoni rocks I throw my 2 oz shad spoon underhand the same distance everybody else is throwing their whole sard.

Failing the above I could only show you personally what is possible with a scarborough. Guys like Alby Upton, Noel Skinner & my all time hero Malcolm Leal defy quantum physics when they launch a bait with a scarborough.

Foxhat

My Quiver, Most of these rods I've had for more than 30 years and I've built them precisely to suit my style of throwing. All are still in regular use and each one has a specific purpose. My requirement of a purpose built scarborough rod would be for the balance point to be about a meter up the rod with the reel fitted, in other words weight in the tip. 9-11,5 foot is the perfect length and longer then that for me starts to get a little awkward especially in a crowd. It's like trying to walk in shoes that are too big for you.

Years ago in the sardine season using jig & drop, everybody was slinging with a scarborough, and the crowd never faulted. Today when I walk onto the bricks to put in that big throw everybody dives for cover or feels uncomfortable. The only time your graphite's take a hit is if you move or change the position of your rod or stance in the middle of my swing and I never saw you.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 265

bassbug

Ninja-Nic wrote:
I have a similar setup that i use for float fishing. no need to cast too far because your bait drifts. Works good for light bait ::tight:[/quote]

thank you;)

bassbug

thanks Foxhat for the help, really appreciate it. this cast, i think, will be pretty easy to master. i was shown by my wife's sister's husband, Thomas (in the bluff), how to lob/pitch a light weight with the left hand index finger. very similar to your explination except that you swing the weight towards you, as soon as the weight is about to come in contact with the rod you yank the index finger (sitting in between the line and spool), this obviously pulls on the weight foward as line peels off the reel and in this case, you hold the rod behind the reel and control it with your right hand thumb.
gonna give your cast a bash tomorrow, forty meters is miles away so excited in a way, thanks again bud.:cool:

tintin2

Foxhat's description of the light cast with a KP is spot on. You will want an 8 to 12 wt fly rod or similar about 9' long for best results. A balance point in the hand is good for these light sticks. My lures of choice were (are) Rapala Shad Rap 7G, but I would also go up or down a size.

It will be many years, if ever, that you get to 40m with such tackle but 20m is enough to catch fish if you can keep quiet and light. You should get to about 20 m in a few afternoon's practice.

Cut yourself a short piece of 10mm dowel to start with and throw it around the back garden for a while until you get the hang of it. Then tie on a Rapala Shad Rap 7 and go and catch something.

derash

I fish with Coffee Grinders and Multiplier reels.
Just purchased a 4''3/8 kp reel paired it with a 9ft assassin rock hopper rod.
Very very anxious to fish and be 1 on 1 with the fish.

:wfish

bassbug

i checked this on youtube, not a kp but a centerpin reel, just for interest sake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8&ebc=ANyPxKpjLkFND6sVd0BbxGikHWyIP3_PgZkF3p8iTPNIA2C9W_5goq9tPuCcnprvIpRK5lQeYZPogYuOwqdgiwTkTSqGeFwAYg

IWyk

Sealiner
Which rod would you guys recommend for a KP Shark reel? No casting here! I want to use this set-up as a swim bait combo. I have set myself a target to catch a shark or a flatfish on a KP this year.

I was thinking in the lines of a 350/4-7 Purglass?

Apologies for being a bit off topic but is still KP! Thx.

Foxhat

Putting a good 100 plus shot off Margate pier for the garricks with a Scarborough last year. The local guys there are quite entertained.

Attachments

• Margate pier.jpg
    Margate pier.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 196

IWyk

Sealiner
::respekt:

Always great seeing a pro in action!

I like the high visibility outfit! Seems to keep the locals at distance-no coming over nearby!

dmx16

Thank you. This has been the most valuable information I have found on casting a KP and I am now proficient enough not to look stupid when am the only guy on the beach, pier or dam still using one.

It really is the most enjoyable reel to land a fish on.

Foxhat

325/2 Purglas with a reworked 7 inch KP superlight - 20Pd Maxima with 35Pd Maxima leader

Attachments

• Scar6.jpg
    Scar6.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 21