Bass Setup

JPG

Howzit,

Im looking to upgrade my current bass setup - not even going to say what it is,

Im just looking for leke combo and a recommendation of lures to get as well.

Iv seen before that everyone recommends speaking to a specific guy on Sealine, but I can't find him if anyone else knows who it is.

Much appreciated

swarley81

Hi JPG,

I'm not "the specific guy", but here goes:

What will you be using the setup for ie soft plastic lures or crank baits?

Spinning or baitcasting?

Do you have a budget in mind?

I'm sure if you specify a bit you'll get a better response.

JPG

Howzit Swarley,

Definitely a spinning system.

I was looking at throwing some plastics but id like to change to small cranks as well if the plastics aren't getting that much strikes.

I was reckoning about R800 - R1000 for the rod and reel should be sufficient.

Maybe a 6'6" with a 2500?

Adrenalin has really nice bass rods out..Otherwise there are loads to choose from 6'6" is perfect and a 2500 also, you could even go smaller, just check the setup feels balanced for wrist flicks and casting all day..I fished with an ecooda blackhawk a while back for bass and it was an absolute pleasure. The shimanos and even daiwas are worth a look at, you don't need anything too fancy for freshwater. I still use my trusty shimano nexave 7' mh that became a 6'6" in my car door once, had the rod for 10 years maybe and it has caught me many, many, many fish.

Look for a few small flukes, a packet in natural colour like baby bass and a pack of dark ones for dark days or murky waters. Get a pack of sliding tungsten shot for situations where you need a sliding shot to get you down like deeper waters or windy days. Small lead shot or jigheads are very bad news for water fowl and fish etc..who swallow them as if pebbles to aid digestion and end up with a longterm lead poisoning and the lead enters the foodchain from their carcass being scavanged. Get some quality hooks that will fit the plastics, look for a wide enough gape for good hook sets. I've also had good luck with squidy/crawfish looking plastics as well as lizard or creature baits and old school "hula" poppers. A small white or chartreuse spinner bait will also get fish but I hardly fish mine now that I get the technique of the plastics. Save your cash on hard plastics for now and get good low vis 20 or 30lb braid and some flouro leader. I use 30lb leader but I fish into the sticks so often have to drag fish out before they wrap me and often have to drag old rotten branches out that I'm stuck to.

JPG

Howzit guys,

After more than a month of buying and returning rods and reels, I have realized that the only way to truly have a bass set that puts a smile on your face and makes you eager to use it isn't always to get the one that "works", but to get one that you could be proud off.

I started with a Nexave 6.6 MH and Sienna 2500 (R650 for the set). Nothing wrong with it, but then you want better... Gave it back and got a Sedona 2500 and Megaforce 7' M (R900 for the set). Lovely reel and rod. But I started thinking if I would want it for the next 5 - 10 yrs, and although its fine, I felt like that extra R500 could be worth it, and believe me it is!!!

Fenwick Eagle GT 7' M with Shimano Sahara 3000 (R1500 for the set). Even though its almost x3 more than a perfectly balanced Sienna and Nexave, you just cant compare the feeling when casting, reeling and fighting a decent size fish.

To all beginners like me, listen to the guys on this forum that knows and made the "kit buying mistakes". "Goed koop is duur koop!!!" The R500 - R1000 you save buying a cheaper kit is not worth it in the long run because you will want to upgrade all the time, and sit with 3 avg rods, instead of 1 great one. I was fortunate that I could take my rods and reels back for full refunds at Spargs Beacon Bay, and now I am the proud owner of an insane bass kit.

Special thanks to Dr. Halibut for all the help with all the PM's back and forth.

Hope this helps all future bass kit buying enthusiasts.

Regards
Jaco

::tight:

Quinton

A decent spinning setup is around the 1500 mark. Only saw this thread now, but I could have offered you a Shimano Crucial and Sahara 2500 reel with braid spooled for around 900 bucks. If anyone else is keen, I'm near Kenilworth.
::tight: