SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community Home 
Home Recent Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register


 Moderated by: Ryan, Emperor Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Barbel Bait, What works the best?  Rating:  Rating
 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 07:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marthin wrote: live dove is a bit big, unless u fishing the orange river...

Live weaver bird is number one... barbel don't hang about near reeds with weaver bird nest because they like the scenery.

Raid those nests, find one that is just before flying age...

Hook a 9/0 through the shoulder blades under the spine and cast in.... if you cast it in the right spot i promise you not 5 minutes....

The one my dad caught well in excess of 20kg in the vaalriver, i caught a live swallow that had fallen in the water, swam it out... rigged up, my dad cast into the middle of the vaal, and before his sinker touched bottom he was on!!!


You need your head checked man. How can you raid a weaver birds nets and then hook them up for fishing. Where is your respect for nature?

 

That’s disgraceful and you should be ashamed of yourself.  

 

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
nobbles
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 11th, 2011
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 591
Equipment: Never enough
Best Catch: Kob, Barbel
Favorite Fishing Spot: Umtafuf river transki, and Shongweni
Boat: Coming soon
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Guys, each person has their own opinion, whether or not we agree with it is of non importance. Yellow you have your opinion and values and Marthin has his. Lets respect one others opinions, no one is right or wrong.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Marthin
Moderator


Joined: Wed Jul 9th, 2008
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 13512
Equipment: BM G3, Seagrand II, Others, Shimano reels
Best Catch: 17kg Cracker, 11.8kg Cracker, 8kg Cracker, 7kg Steenie
Favorite Fishing Spot: Gouritzmond
Boat: None
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
the question was what is the best bait to use...

That is the best bait to use....

When fishing for sharks, one would take an elf/shad, hook it on live, and then cut the tail off so it makes more vibrations and bleed a little.

you decide...

lets go up the evolutionary scale....

Live Worm? OK
Live Crickets/Insects? OK
Live Crabs? OK
Live Fish? OK
Live Plattie? OK
Live Birds? Not OK?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Deefish
Member
 

Joined: Sat Feb 7th, 2009
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 51
Equipment: Fishing Tackle!
Best Catch: 3.58kg Largemouth Bass, 21kg Yellowfin, 2.9kg Red Stumpnose, 51cm White ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, Breede River, Kwaggaskloof
Boat: 4.7m Gemini, 1 x 70hp Yamaha, 1 x 3.5hp aux
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marthin wrote: the question was what is the best bait to use...

That is the best bait to use....

When fishing for sharks, one would take an elf/shad, hook it on live, and then cut the tail off so it makes more vibrations and bleed a little.

you decide...

lets go up the evolutionary scale....

Live Worm? OK
Live Crickets/Insects? OK
Live Crabs? OK
Live Fish? OK
Live Plattie? OK
Live Birds? Not OK?

As was previously said each has their own set of values. What you might note, however, is that each animal on your list up until you hit a plattie does not have the brain capacity to feel pain. A plattie and bird does. May as well rig up a dog as bait.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Sorry, I disagree and it’s illegal and illegal for a reason. It’s not about my opinion, it’s about right and wrong, this is wrong and illegal and I will voice this all day long.

 

Come on guys, really – live birds as bait?????????

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Anthony_Britt
Member


Joined: Tue Jan 10th, 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 486
Equipment: 12ft T53 Blue Marlin Galaxy 365& Shimano 6000 Reels
Best Catch: 17.6,16.0 & 15.5 kg Catfish
Favorite Fishing Spot: Bloemhof Dam
Boat: Ek cast
Club: Requin Angling Club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Yellow Monster wrote:
Sorry, I disagree and it’s illegal and illegal for a reason. It’s not about my opinion, it’s about right and wrong, this is wrong and illegal and I will voice this all day long.

 

Come on guys, really – live birds as bait?????????
I agree' VISKOP IS BAAS

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Deefish wrote: Marthin wrote: the question was what is the best bait to use...

That is the best bait to use....

When fishing for sharks, one would take an elf/shad, hook it on live, and then cut the tail off so it makes more vibrations and bleed a little.

you decide...

lets go up the evolutionary scale....

Live Worm? OK
Live Crickets/Insects? OK
Live Crabs? OK
Live Fish? OK
Live Plattie? OK
Live Birds? Not OK?

As was previously said each has their own set of values. What you might note, however, is that each animal on your list up until you hit a plattie does not have the brain capacity to feel pain. A plattie and bird does. May as well rig up a dog as bait.


Yeah, what’s next – live new born puppies hooked through the shoulder?

 

We need to raise awareness for cruelty not advocate it.  

 

Anyway – I’m sickened by the idea.

 

Best I log off or I may just copy and paste this thread throughout Sealine.

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Marthin
Moderator


Joined: Wed Jul 9th, 2008
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 13512
Equipment: BM G3, Seagrand II, Others, Shimano reels
Best Catch: 17kg Cracker, 11.8kg Cracker, 8kg Cracker, 7kg Steenie
Favorite Fishing Spot: Gouritzmond
Boat: None
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Deefish... i disagree about not feeling pain....

Yellow, i'd love for you to show me it's illegal.... any document....

What i can show you is this regarding Gauteng Angling Regulations:

You are required to have a license for freshwater angling in Gauteng, however as they are not easy to come by the rules state that if an official comes to check your license and you do not have one he has no choice but to sell you a license on the spot, he cannot confiscate your tackle, give you a fine if this is the case, he can however do this if you have disobeyed anyone of the rules and regulations.

You are not allowed to make feeding spots for fish.

An angler may only use 2 rods per person.

An angler may only use 2 hooks per rod.

Declared Trout Waters are where fly fishing is the only angling method permitted, you may have as many flies on your line as you wish.

You are allowed to use live bait, however NOT live fish - this is not permitted in Gauteng waters, there is still a question mark around the use of the Common Plattanna, most angling shops say it is illegal but there is still no Governing document saying that Plattannas are illegal in Gauteng waters, to the best of my knowledge and I have done a lot of searching.

The only livebait that is illegal in gauteng, is live fish!!!

So get informed, or practise your right to STFU. Legally there is NOTHING wrong with using a live weaver bird chick as bait.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I wonder what the fly boys will think of this. Lets find out.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Deefish
Member
 

Joined: Sat Feb 7th, 2009
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 51
Equipment: Fishing Tackle!
Best Catch: 3.58kg Largemouth Bass, 21kg Yellowfin, 2.9kg Red Stumpnose, 51cm White ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, Breede River, Kwaggaskloof
Boat: 4.7m Gemini, 1 x 70hp Yamaha, 1 x 3.5hp aux
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marthin wrote: Deefish... i disagree about not feeling pain....

Yellow, i'd love for you to show me it's illegal.... any document....

What i can show you is this regarding Gauteng Angling Regulations:

You are required to have a license for freshwater angling in Gauteng, however as they are not easy to come by the rules state that if an official comes to check your license and you do not have one he has no choice but to sell you a license on the spot, he cannot confiscate your tackle, give you a fine if this is the case, he can however do this if you have disobeyed anyone of the rules and regulations.

You are not allowed to make feeding spots for fish.

An angler may only use 2 rods per person.

An angler may only use 2 hooks per rod.

Declared Trout Waters are where fly fishing is the only angling method permitted, you may have as many flies on your line as you wish.

You are allowed to use live bait, however NOT live fish - this is not permitted in Gauteng waters, there is still a question mark around the use of the Common Plattanna, most angling shops say it is illegal but there is still no Governing document saying that Plattannas are illegal in Gauteng waters, to the best of my knowledge and I have done a lot of searching.

The only livebait that is illegal in gauteng, is live fish!!!

So get informed, or practise your right to STFU. Legally there is NOTHING wrong with using a live weaver bird chick as bait.

Marthin, Aquadementia posted an article a little while ago about the pain issue. Although fish have a nervous system response to 'pain', their brain capacity is not sufficient enough to actually register it as pain. What I'm trying to say is, on the one hand you have birds and plattie's that most certainly do feel pain and on the other fish that don't (or in your opinion possibly do, possibly being the operative word).

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Anthony_Britt
Member


Joined: Tue Jan 10th, 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 486
Equipment: 12ft T53 Blue Marlin Galaxy 365& Shimano 6000 Reels
Best Catch: 17.6,16.0 & 15.5 kg Catfish
Favorite Fishing Spot: Bloemhof Dam
Boat: Ek cast
Club: Requin Angling Club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Is it legal to use CARP HEAD for Catfish bait?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Marthin
Moderator


Joined: Wed Jul 9th, 2008
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 13512
Equipment: BM G3, Seagrand II, Others, Shimano reels
Best Catch: 17kg Cracker, 11.8kg Cracker, 8kg Cracker, 7kg Steenie
Favorite Fishing Spot: Gouritzmond
Boat: None
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
yip... no live fish... that's the only restriction on bait....

And no web toed frogs in the northern cape.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Anthony_Britt
Member


Joined: Tue Jan 10th, 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 486
Equipment: 12ft T53 Blue Marlin Galaxy 365& Shimano 6000 Reels
Best Catch: 17.6,16.0 & 15.5 kg Catfish
Favorite Fishing Spot: Bloemhof Dam
Boat: Ek cast
Club: Requin Angling Club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marthin wrote:
yip... no live fish... that's the only restriction on bait....

And no web toed frogs in the northern cape.
But plattana's are also illegal in Gauteng isn't it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Deefish
Member
 

Joined: Sat Feb 7th, 2009
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 51
Equipment: Fishing Tackle!
Best Catch: 3.58kg Largemouth Bass, 21kg Yellowfin, 2.9kg Red Stumpnose, 51cm White ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, Breede River, Kwaggaskloof
Boat: 4.7m Gemini, 1 x 70hp Yamaha, 1 x 3.5hp aux
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
.

Last edited on Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:56 am by Deefish

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 08:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Deefish
Member
 

Joined: Sat Feb 7th, 2009
Location: Cape Town, Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 51
Equipment: Fishing Tackle!
Best Catch: 3.58kg Largemouth Bass, 21kg Yellowfin, 2.9kg Red Stumpnose, 51cm White ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, Breede River, Kwaggaskloof
Boat: 4.7m Gemini, 1 x 70hp Yamaha, 1 x 3.5hp aux
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Please see this link and take particular note of the column relating to the Animals Protection Act No 71 of 1962.

http://www.nspca.co.za/other.aspx?Id=&CateId=&Category=&page=News&nId=176&Title=Live%20platannas%20(frogs)%20removed%20and%20released

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Anthony_Britt
Member


Joined: Tue Jan 10th, 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 486
Equipment: 12ft T53 Blue Marlin Galaxy 365& Shimano 6000 Reels
Best Catch: 17.6,16.0 & 15.5 kg Catfish
Favorite Fishing Spot: Bloemhof Dam
Boat: Ek cast
Club: Requin Angling Club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Deefish wrote:
Please see this link and take particular note of the column relating to the Animals Protection Act No 71 of 1962.

http://www.nspca.co.za/other.aspx?Id=&CateId=&Category=&page=News&nId=176&Title=Live%20platannas%20(frogs)%20removed%20and%20released
MMM very interesting indeed' when was this?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Anthony_Britt wrote: Deefish wrote:
Please see this link and take particular note of the column relating to the Animals Protection Act No 71 of 1962.

http://www.nspca.co.za/other.aspx?Id=&CateId=&Category=&page=News&nId=176&Title=Live%20platannas%20(frogs)%20removed%20and%20released
MMM very interesting indeed' when was this?

I have sent a email to the SPCA regarding their views on "Raiding of Weaver Nests for Live Bait" and will keep everyone posted.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
nobbles
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 11th, 2011
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 591
Equipment: Never enough
Best Catch: Kob, Barbel
Favorite Fishing Spot: Umtafuf river transki, and Shongweni
Boat: Coming soon
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Each to there own. And i dont care who wrote that article, any animal that has a nervous system feels pain, nature dictates this. A lack of brain capacitie????????????? What fish species is he referring to? Marine biologists have proved alot of species are very clever and can problem solve. So diminished brain capacity is a matter of opinion rather than fact. I have had alot of discusions on this topic related to fish and have more than one marine biologist state all fish feel pain. If you want to test the theory get hold of a fish and see how much it panics when the hook goes through, if it didnt feel it,why the sudden increase in movement at that particular time. I use live bait very regularly and it is legal in Natal, i do not how ever use anything else live as i dont like the feeling of hooking a life frog or bird. But thats my opinion and if Marthin wants to, that his decision and his right.

I think if this topic needs to be debated there is a general dicusion board that will fit it, not what barbel bait is best. Anthony i would like to apologise to you for the high jacking of your post.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Hope this puts a end to the debate: Reply from the SPCA:

-----Original Message-----
From: NSPCA Special Projects Unit [mailto:specialprojects@nspca.co.za]
Sent: 22 March 2012 11:39 AM
To: Mark Ninow
Subject: FW: Weaver Birds as Live Bait for fishing.
Importance: High

 

Dear Mark,

 

In terms of the Animals Protection Act no. 71 of 1962, there are several sections under which these fisherman can be charged with:

Definition: "owner" in relation to an animal, includes any person having the possession, charge, custody or control of that animal.

2. OFFENCES IN RESPECT OF ANIMALS - (1) Any person who:

(a )overloads, overdrives, overrides, ill-treats, neglects, infuriates, tortures or maims or cruelly beats, kicks, goads or terrifies any animal; or

(f) uses on or attaches to any animal any equipment, appliance or vehicle which causes or will cause injury to such animal or which is loaded, used or attached in such a manner as will cause such animal to be injured or become diseased or to suffer unnecessarily; or

(h) liberates any bird in such a manner as to expose it to immediate attack or danger of attack by animals, wild animals or wild birds; or

(g) save for the purpose of training hounds maintained by a duly established and registered vermin club in the destruction of vermin, liberates any animal in such a manner or place as to expose it to immediate attack or danger of attack by other animals or by wild animals, or baits or provokes any animal or incites any animal to attack another animal; or

The penalties, if found guilty, are up to 1 Year imprisonment and/or a fine. The fine can reach up to R60 000 in a district court or R300 000 in a Regional Court.

 

The above are all over and above any possible Nature Conservation Regulations which they may be breaching by removing any wild animal from the wild.

 

Your concerns are therefore supported.

 

 

Kind regards

 

Andries Venter

Special Projects Unit - Manager

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Yellow Monster
Member


Joined: Mon Dec 6th, 2010
Location: JHB, South Africa
Posts: 132
Equipment: Scott A2 fly rod, Shilton CR3, tons of flies - ...
Best Catch: 3.7kg small mouth yellow
Favorite Fishing Spot: "THE HOFF"
Boat: None - on the wish list
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
@ ENIGMA -

 Please do not remove this Forum - exposure to this type of Cruelty is educational to other anglers.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply


Current time is 07:09 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community > Freshwater Angling > Barbel Forum > Barbel Bait, What works the best? Top