The Giant King Rag Worm- (Alitta virens)

Swain05

((goodp_

Seen many of them while diving.Also seen lots of posts that have miss identified them this is to put you at ease.

Attachments

• p02l6z3g.jpg
    p02l6z3g.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 560

Swain05

often reaching great length, sometimes exceeding four feet.

numerous, highly vascularized parapodia along both sides of their bodies.

blue heads with two large pincer teeth which are capable of biting humans.

Have rainbow like colours on their bodies .

They feed on reefs and have been seen in between mussel banks.

Live in long cacoon like casings under rocks, well the juveniles have been know to live in and underneath the bases of kelp .

Attachments

• p02l6z3g.jpg
    p02l6z3g.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 556

Psy

Sealiner
;)

Pulled a few of them in the Knysna lagoon last weekend....Parks Board were watching and counted my catch....oops almost over quota!!

((goodp_

Psy

Sealiner
Excellent bait.
Note the iridescent colour on the worms body.
Referred to as moonshine worm.
Glows in the dark!!

;)

Swain would u say they more similar to the musselworm?coz to me it looks more like that,just haven't seen them at the length uve seen them,coz moonshine worm is much more different to yr pic and very soft and break easily,just my personal experience so plz correct me where I'm wrong_seal1_BTW very informative just shows hw little we know hey lol((goodp_

Swain05

Hi Wanie

Yes it is related to the mussel worm .

mussel worm ,rag worm , moonshine worm ,coral worm,wonderworm are all members of the segmented worm group called the Annelids.

There are many sub species which is why one might get confused it just depends on the environment in which they live in.

Swain05

Mussel worm and rag worms are predators.
Both do not live in sand per say .Mussel worm stay in and and among the mussel banks where as the Rag worm lives in elongated tubular like cocoons made from their slime and shell/sand grains usually under large rocks. they are predators and scavengers both go out in search of food. Rag worms will venture amongst mussels in search of food and possibly eat mussel worm.

Moonshine worm , wonder worm , blood worm and coral worm never leave the safety of their homes .

I hope this little paragraph has put things in to perspective ? :imnew

((goodp
Well said Swain I'm sure uve cleared a lot of confusion,and again I admit very informative,we need fundis like u here lol::tclaph

Bevan91

Very Informative post Swain!

on the next flat spell hopefully we can get some more pictures whilst diving/bait collecting....a fewworms out there that hopefully some of the guys on hear can help I.D.:imnew:imnew:imnew:imnew:imnew:imnew

So those 20-30cm long buggers with the double black retractable jaws, that look like they are out of Alien and they try twist up to bite you, they are Giant Rag worm? Found some and fished some last week and the fish did love them! In fact first cast with them after some other unsuccessful baits and my sinker didn't even hit the bottom and I got hit and caught a PB. I thought it was moonshine or wonderworm but only worms I know are earthworm and bloodworm so keen to learn some more!

How do you know for sure, what is your official worm fundi status? :)

Swain05

Hi Hoffman

I was a marine scientific observer recording data about our demersal,pelagic,longline and general fish species in our waters as well as international waters.

I have done lots of research regarding our fish stocks as well as our Invertebrate species.

I am well informed regarding many species and life forms along our coast line as well as many fish and animal species in our oceans.

My best friend (BEVAN91) who is also a member on sealine is also very well informed regarding this subject.

We both have a passion for knowing how our oceans work.
We have the utmost respect for our fish stocks and marine life ,im sure all us fisherman do..

::tight:::tight:

Tnx Swain for joining us and teaching us so much and im sure many more to come,guys like u are are precious and much needed to ensure the survival of our marine life and empowering us with yr knowledge is hugely appreciated,I'm sure a lot of us will agree on that((goodp_::tight:

Epic! Nice to know you're not some random claiming to know..

Nice for confirmation on species also, thanks.. there'll probably be few more enquiries now.

Swain05 wrote:
Hi Hoffman

I was a marine scientific observer recording data about our demersal,pelagic,longline and general fish species in our waters as well as international waters.

I have done lots of research regarding our fish stocks as well as our Invertebrate species.

I am well informed regarding many species and life forms along our coast line as well as many fish and animal species in our oceans.

My best friend (BEVAN91) who is also a member on sealine is also very well informed regarding this subject.

We both have a passion for knowing how our oceans work.
We have the utmost respect for our fish stocks and marine life ,im sure all us fisherman do..

::tight:::tight:

Psy

Sealiner
Swain05 wrote:
Yes it is i didnt catch it though ..

was caught by a japanese longliner i was working on.

;)
That's interesting.
The boat I worked was Yusho Maru #5
Was way back in the late 70's.
We were based from the port/town of Shimizu.

Where did you fish?
Do you speak their language?

Oh...I have many tales to tell.
:)