Test Curves

G

Gents,
Can you explain what this means? see rods with 2LB, 2.5LB, etc. Tried searching, but only found one topic but it didnt explain what the test curve rating means.
Thanks

Enigma

There are more than a few topics on it on sealine

If the rod is anchored (clamped onto a fixed surface) at the reel seat the amount of weight in LBS that will pull the tip around 90 degrees so it points to the floor is the test curve.

Very many rods do not comply to this but most top rods do.

the rod action also needs to be taken into consideration.

A parabolic / slow rod will bend through the middle and into the tip to give the desired effect.

A fast action rod will result in the base and most of the mid section hardly bending and the tip pulling round to the desired effect.

DanielCPT

I recently purchased a rod that came with two tips,  2.75lb and 3.5lb. Now what I dont know is when to use which one? Does the one increase your casting range?

Could someone shed some light on when to use the right tip for the right situation?

Jughead

As far as I know the 3.5lb tc would be for casting a distance and the 2.75lb tc would be for playing the fish.

Enigma

3lbs you can pull a fish harder out of cover and will cast bigger leads

2.75lbs will be for fishing finer and playing fish in open water and for casting lighter leads

Take a 3oz weight and tie it to the tip of the 3lbs tip (in the rod) and get a feel of it

Now do the same with the 2.75lbs. You should feel the 3lbs will be able to cast it and the 2.75lbs might be a bit light to handle it

G

Thanks for the reply Enigma, much appreciated!

a rod rated 3LB test, what would you gather is the maximum lead weight you would be able to cast?

Enigma

Once again depends on the construction. Could even be as much as 5oz lead but I would generally look at 3.5oz total rig weight for casting on a 3lbs tip.

G

Enigma, for an entry level rod - would you say the Shimano Alivio is any good?
This is what their site say:
Alivio Specimen carp rods are designed for anglers on a small budget but feature many of the hallmarks of more expensive models. Featuring great casting and playing actions, with cool looking understated cosmetics, the Alivio is perfect for two or three rod set ups without costing the earth. There are 10 models to choose from including four 3 piece options.

• XT30 + GEOFIBRE
• SHIMANO HARDLITE GUIDES
• DPS-TYPE REEL SEAT
• 40MM STARTER GUIDE
• CLOTH BAG

I saw them at Solomons, and they are rated 3lb

Enigma

3.5lbs if you want to cast 100m or more
3lbs if you use a bait boat

Do not bump the eyes and if you doe, I do good repairs on them

Good value for money entry level rods.

If however you are contemplating taking the sport further rather look to a level or 2 up on those.

Requires a slow casting action to prevent line wrap on the guides or tip