Shoes for rock fishing

slater

Hi Guys, Ive nearly killed myself a few times on the rocks - what are the best shoes for rock angling?

thanks

Slater

duane

I rate that cut off gummies work the best - you can even buy ones that are already cut off and beaded at most of the tackle shops.

royboy

Sealiner
I found that when flyfishing on rocks and then wading in the surf, sand would get into pretty much any shoes.......and the chafing that would occur resulted in very painful and bleeding feet.

Solution:

Reef surfing booties. They have rubber tread soles with neoprene outers and zipper to get in and out of them. Above the ankle and sandproof. Super comfortable, and generally grip well (except slimy / algae covered rocks which would probably defeat any shoe).

Only thing is, you MUST rinse them out with fresh water at the end of every outing or else they will stink worse than rotten sard!!!! And I mean Rotten.

Andre Laas

Sealiner
Slip those Neoprene booties into some cut-off gummies, and you have a golden combination for the rocks........nearly indestructable and highly comfy!!

Nepptune

Sealiner
I wear Simms Flats Boots for everything from Rock hopping in the surf, to wading the WC streams, to using on the boat... the trick is to make sure you have gravel guards to keep the sand and sh*t out.... Good pair of Gravel guards make a world of difference...

I like Critters suggestions on booties inside cut off gumboots though, great idea... I find that the neoprene booties on their own are never tough enough or give enough ankle support... one rolled ankle and you will want the ankle support that a pair of boots gives!

Pylstert

Sealiner
Has anyone tried felt soled boots on the bricks. I have a pair of Chota felt sold wading boots and they work a charm in rivers. Haven't been down to the sea for ages *&%$##@ so haven't tried them out there yet.

Andre Laas

Sealiner
I'm Glad that you like the idea!

I also drill drain holes in my boots to prevent the constant sloshing usually associated with gummies. The only draw-back I have is that I was dumb enough to buy a pair of black gummies........they can really cook your feet!!!

Nepptune

Sealiner
Pylstert - Garth Wellman and Armand Flies both had Chotas on our Seychelles trip which they put to good use... the felt takes a bit of a hammering on the rocks and coral... but they grip well... The leather and what not gets a little hammered buy the salt, but if you rinse them well, and treat them with dubbin or something they should last well..

Pylstert

Sealiner
Cool thanks Nepps those blokes know what they are doing, will give it a bash, the nice thing is they are very comfortable and provide good protection - toe caps etc, bugger is they take a bit of time to get dry and if you forget them in a bag or box hmmmmmmm big problems

Reefman

Sealiner
Tried the gumboots, the booties, but still think these are the best... especially for rocks. The spikes don't slip for nothing. I have even used mine for the long beach walks... and they're very comfy and soft. They have a zip like the Neoprene diving booties, so no sand etc can get in... The foot surface has a beaut soft cushion that makes sure you get no spike pressure at all...

attachment.php

Nepptune

Sealiner
Pyl - I hear ya on the drying time... thats why I love the Simms Flats boots, they dry in less than half an hour...

But its always a good idea to make sure you don't leave your boots in a box or bag without drying them.... NASTY!

Pylstert

Sealiner
Reef I have seen those, they look the part, good to hear they work, won't be welcome in a larny hotel front lobby especially matched to long rugby socks but at home in the surf :)

GL

adrenalin boots look excatly like rock hoppers or vica versa.

wade boots are cool for beach etc but then u gonna need 2 pairs of shoes which could be waste of loot? or an extra clip on your tackle bag?

Koeks

For light rock fishing those crocs work really well enough grip and very comfy and light, just they do tend to ware out very fast, also good for the beach cos they light enough to take off and carry compared to a pair of gumboots.