Okuma Catalina CT-25L

Cobus Blouberg

I saw this reel and it looks OK, good reviews on the Web, but prices vary.

There is some stock in local (SA) shops, but again great variation.

So, question - what is the going rate currently, or what did you pay and when?

All help will be appreciated - "dankie by voorbaat" :)

Cobus Blouberg

And another question actually - what would be the direct alternative/opposition for this reel and what does it cost?

I am going on a trip from JHB (Been here for business and cannot wait to get back to the coast, ANY coast :) ) down the KZN coast to PE next week, then to CT week and I want to get this sorted before leaving, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

kraken

Hmmmm, I'm very much one who sticks to the tried and tested brands.

A friend of mine went out and bought one of these reels for shore angling after being sweet talked into buying it by an eager salesman.

On his very first outing, it packed up..........

My advice is to look no further than Shimano or Daiwa.

Polychaete

Na, you need to look at other brands as well.   Imagine what the "famous" brands would cost if that was all we bought?

I've just bought an Okuma, first time in my life and it looks very good............probably all made in China in any event, just different stickers on the outside.:fbash

When I borrowed my friends brand new Shimano Trinidad DC ( that very expensive one) the clutch lever broke after a couple of casts.

Huey

A mate of mine has been using a catalina for two years now with no problems and little servicing.

Steamtrain

Hmmmm, I'm very much one who sticks to the tried and tested brands.

A friend of mine went out and bought one of these reels for shore angling after being sweet talked into buying it by an eager salesman.

On his very first outing, it packed up..........

My advice is to look no further than Shimano or Daiwa.
Or Penn