Melkbosstrand Kayak Fishing (Are there actually fish?)

Ivan1994

Good morning everyone,

I've recently delved into the world of kayak fishing in Melkbosstrand, exploring a variety of recommended spots including the area in front of the NSRI and the local hotspot known as the "vlei," as well as venturing into other spots both in between and deeper into the waters.

Despite my efforts, luck hasn't seemed to be on my side thus far. Apart from the occasional small catfish or dark shyshark, and I've noticed a similar trend among fellow anglers whether they're on kayaks, boats, or fishing from the shoreline.

It's led me to ponder whether there might be factors at play here in Melkbosstrand—perhaps unfavorable water conditions recently, or simply fewer fish inhabiting these waters compared to other locations along the Western Cape.

I'm curious if anyone else has observed or experienced similar outcomes and would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Lots of south easts this year, el nino..whats your water temperature that you are fishing in? Fish don't stay in one spot unless they are resident reef species. Fish follow their water, or bait, normally both...Me thinks you might be fishing in the gin clear freezing cold west coast summer water and wondering where the fish are?

Ivan1994

Lots of south easts this year, el nino..whats your water temperature that you are fishing in? Fish don't stay in one spot unless they are resident reef species. Fish follow their water, or bait, normally both...Me thinks you might be fishing in the gin clear freezing cold west coast summer water and wondering where the fish are?
Hi Dr hoffman, that makes sense. I am still new to the west coast fishing scene and not sure what conditions to look for.
What would usually be ideal conditions for a day of fishing?

Marthin

Sealiner
My personal preference for kob on the west coast is when the swell drops down to aroun 1m to 1.5, before the west arrives or slight west, basically today. The west pushes warmer surface water to the side. Even if a NW hasnt hit yet she is blowing out there in the deep blue and pushing the warmer water to the side. We had light westerly every evening and early morning bar 1 or 2 days during december/jan on the west coast, and had water warm enough to swim in at 7:30 pm. I think this lead to the yellowtail and elf from shore at langebaan during this time.

Melkbos can be tricky but there is fish to land. I prefer a bubblegum milkshake colour to the traditional brown colour around Melkbos, specifically Bontkop, however if you do find a brown patch of water when everything else is clear, u can be in for a shout. SW can bring that horrible fine weeds close to shore. If you can paddle out of the launch and around towards bontkop you should find fish towards to old vlei area and around, usually some mullet and brown patches that side.