Mealworms for Carp/Barbel

fishy_fishy

Sealiner
Hi Everyone

Has anyone tried Mealworms for bait? I am looking for something different/natural to entice the fishies to bite.

:f1shy

avermaak

Howzit all and Internet Ninja!!

Believe it or not, I have caught carp on chicken livers!

Have tried mealworms a few times - never even got a bump.

Going for barbel I use rats (regular ones from pet shops) with excellent results!!

Zoom in and see

Attachments

• 20140118_070039.jpg
    20140118_070039.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 252

Ninja-Nic

Sealiner
Interesting you mention chicken livers. Heard they good for blacktail too. Read somewhere that guys also use lunch meat with surprising results sometimes.

Ninja-Nic

Sealiner
avermaak wrote:
I've have rats taken before sinker even hits the bottom!!!

Dying to go to Vaal and try wabbits!!!

I know a certain district in Durban with many stray dogs. Skinny, sick looking things. I guess that would be a bit overboard though ;)

avermaak

LOL! In the first pic the rat is half hanging out the barbels mouth, the second is in plain sight!!! lol

Thats why I want to try bigger rodents - to get bigger fish!

Ninja-Nic

Sealiner
avermaak wrote:
LOL! In the first pic the rat is half hanging out the barbels mouth, the second is in plain sight!!! lol

Thats why I want to try bigger rodents - to get bigger fish!

Ah ok, took strain with that first pic.
Btw, in some regions, Chihuahuas and Yorkies are classified as rodents. Pricy bait bait if you ever plan on buying some. Plenty people I see walking their bait at Virginia while others play and walk with real dogs

Ninja-Nic

Sealiner
True, if it works why not. Obviously within reason though. Just wana state for the record that I don't endorse the theft and usage of people's pets for bait. I actually like dogs more than most people I meet

avermaak

LOLOL. If it can get eaten, not human or protected - it's bait!!!lolol

Noisy neighbour's dogs or parrots are prime targets for bait - hear that neighbours!! Your yapper could lead to my PB barbel!!!!

IWyk

Sealiner
I have tried mealworms before for Yellows and carp in the Vaal river. Never had a touch.

Went fishing once with a guy many moons ago in Ladysmith who used a white rat/mouse from a petshop as live bait and caught a huge bass on it.

He put a small elastic band around the waist of the rat and hooked the hook through that and let the rat swim back towards shore where there was some reeds. The rat never made the first swim before it got chomped!

fishy_fishy

Sealiner
Tried them and didnt get a bite. The bites were slow on the day. I will try again and give feedback. I'm sure fish will take this bait.

:f1shy