Hi, I bet u guys have probably been asked this

AJP

Hi,

I bet u guys have probably been asked this a million times by newbies, if there is another post on this already, pls point me in the right direction.

If possible is there a diagram or easy to follow instructions on this knot?

Your help is much appreciated. :)

Reefman

Sealiner
Howzit JP... here is one way of doing it....

slidetrace.gif

Reefman

Sealiner
And another one... the Flemish Eye
courtesy of Geoff Wilson

Attachments

• flemish eye1.jpg
    flemish eye1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,535

Noweeds

Sealiner
The top knot is cool but the problem with the thicker steel is that you can't put a toothpick through the eye of the hook afterwards....or you realy battle. I still use a fig.8 to join my steel to everything. Except steel to mono...then i use a albright!

mumro

does the second hook have to be attached to the nylon coated and why?i see alot of guys leave it free running:alien

Reefman

Sealiner
There's a big problem with this trace, if you use a free running hook. The Second hook needs to be the load bearing hook... that means it goes through the jaws of the bait...  The last hook on the trace (at the end of the trace) sits proud and usually is attched only through the skin of the bait on the side somewhere, right and secured with a toothpick or pin? so it can't bear any load, otherwise it will just tear out. So then, if the one hook on the jaws is loose, the entire bait is just gonna tear out and hang in mid water, very unlifelike...!

What I used to do... I used to make the trace with a loose hook, a runner. When you know how big the bait is gonna be (how wide apart you want your hooks to be) then you "SNELL" the loose hook onto the trace line with a Uni knot/Grinner. I do this after I've rigged the bait up, just makes it easier!

I'll try find a pic....

[line]

UPDATE: THIS METHOD OF SNELLING THE WEIGHT BEARING HOOK, DETAILED BELOW IS NO LONGER RECOMMENDED. RATHER MAKE THE WEIGHT BEARING HOOK FIXED TO THE TRACE.

Reefman

Sealiner
K ... Mums, have a look at Noweeds' slide bait below... can you imagine if hook number 2 wasn't secured, or was running loose? It would be a bit of a blls-up...

Attachments

• Slide_Bait 2.jpg
    Slide_Bait 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,938

Noweeds

Sealiner
Reefman that pic is copywrite.......R500000000000000 please...... :lol:1....

What are those little magafters......are they just heavy duty pins???

Reefman

Sealiner
[color=#006600]Noweeds[/color] wrote:
Reefman that pic is copywrite.......R500000000000000 please...... :lol:1....

that'd be copyright....:? and for me, it's copywright :D!

What are those little magafters......are they just heavy duty pins???
Yeah, they are pins bought at a .... let me try get this right.... ha-ba-dash-ery... yes, that's it... a habadashery shop! (thats a big word for a sewing shop! ):breakd:They come in different sizes.. and I found these work like a charm when the flippin toothpick doesn't fit.

Reefman

Sealiner
Blade, go to the BUILD A SLIDE TRACE pic in the beginning of this thread... The first hook is tied on the end of the trace wire - ie: it's fixed. The second hook, in point 5, is either tied on with the same knot, or it's left loose to run up and down the trace wire, UNTIL you know the size of your bait. If you tie it on up front like the first hook, then you're limited to what size bait you can use. If you keep it loose, then you can use it for any size bait.

Once your bait size is determined, that hook will be used to take the load of the bait. It can be tied onto the trace wire using a Snell knot - .

Helps?

[line]

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

THIS METHOD OF TIEING ON THE WEIGHT BEARING HOOK IS NO LONGER RECOMMENDED!

Reefman

Sealiner
Maybe this will help... sometimes I don't explain too good...:?

Attachments

• SLIDE SNELL.jpg
    SLIDE SNELL.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,371

Pylstert

Sealiner
 Reefman

That means you can't tie on your slide beforehand? You must tie it on the beach? That doesn't sound like fun?

Cheers

LeonJ