Garlic

Ets05

Howzit lads, ive used aniseed for rock and surf with great success now my question will a garlic scent added to your rock and surf bait have the same effect? Your valued views and opinions please

Ets05

Tried the garlic last night it didnt deter the fish at all actually managed a couple of small kob and one small but at least 3kg kob on a chokka bait sprayed with some YUM Garlic scent

willo

Sealiner
I know this is a old post , but I find your results very interesting .
I can remember fishing a round robin style set up competition(edibles only) a few years ago , our team at that stage were in the running to take the trophy with only two more events to go.
Now our team captain was in charge of getting the sand prawn for the comp , which he did and each member got a hand full for the day .
That day the bronze bream came on the chew , but only wanted sand prawn ,we had all the other usual baits , pink prawn , Cray tail etc. that they would not touch and for some reason they would not touch our sand prawn either .
After the comp I had a chat to the captain and found the bucket that the prawns were originally put in to , was a used crushed garlic bucket which still had a very strong smell of garlic .
we still caught other species on other baits during the comp , but with no bronze bream we lost the day which ended up costing us the trophy for the year .

IWyk

Sealiner
Aniseed was a trick to add to bucket water to remove other sent from hands, not to use on baits.(salt water anyway).

Interesting scenario though!

willo

Sealiner
IWyk wrote:
Aniseed was a trick to add to bucket water to remove other sent from hands, not to use on baits.(salt water anyway).

Interesting scenario though!

Aniseed works wonders , I always fish with two buckets , one with sea water and a few drops of Aniseed to keep the hands clean and the other one to defrost what ever is on the menu . Have also had very good success defrosting squid in some sea water and a few drops of Aniseed.

yacoob

Hi Ets

Not quite on topic, but it's great to see youngsters like yourself so involved in fishing and not averse to trying new things. Thats exactly how we'll evolve as fishermen. thanks for sharing. We need the energy and spontaneity that comes with youth. Keep it up dude!!!

:thankie

Ets05

Thanks gents and I can honestly say that a bit of aniseed when scratching amongst the bricks works like a charm we also use it for pompano, guys like Dean Dickensen also use aniseed for scratching and the theory behind it is that most marine worms have a slight aniseed scent to them and by using a drop or two, fish with lock jaw might be more willing to take a bait

willo

Sealiner
Have you tried the garlic again after your original post , would be interesting to hear what species you have caught and the conditions you were fishing in . Dirty water/big sea's etc.

andrewpalang

A garlic dip has been used commercially for quite a while when trying to get ornamentaal marine fish to eat when first introduced to a fish tank. I have used it with success in a tank so cant see why it wouldnt work out in the sea!