casting a scarborough

Foxhat

My buddy that I grew up fishing with tattooed this on my left arm.

Attachments

• Arm.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 35

Ben REINERS

Sealiner
Staff member
Hi there Foxhat.....one can clearly sense you a KP lover.

And a Big Yes on one of your statements, a a certain or specific rod & matching KP each for its own purpose.

It is just like fitting that 1 shoe out of 100's that sits well, feels good & does not tire your feet.....a must have.

By saying a "reworked" KP do you mean sized down specifically for spinning, ie. Had the drum made smaller by Collin ?

Foxhat

Ben, Wynne Moxley was my journeyman on the railways, it was like working in a Scarborough factory. I machine down the outer diameter so it holds less line & reposition the handles. I ream the bearing journal to get the perfect fit so there's no nip on the bearings & then I place 2 brass spacers between the inner & outer race to ensure perfect alignment. Then I balance by hand.

Ben REINERS

Sealiner
Staff member
That sounds like fun, having to downsize your own.

One Question.....does the reel spin much faster with the new tuned-up bearing journal ?

Obviously with a smaller drum holding less line it should spin faster, but does the bearing matter attribute to a faster spin ?

You just created more questions with your upgrade than pleasing my interest :rasta:fbash

Foxhat

Bearings require a perfect fit & the KP's are molded, that's why the bearing has to be excessively forced into the journal. This causes the bearing to be side loaded as opposed to the ball tracking in the center of the race hence the reel slows down excessively, also causing premature failure. This is just basic engineering. Reaming with a 25mm reamer gives the journal the perfect ID.