casting a scarborough

tintin1

The bloke who showed me how these reels worked did so and said that I was unlikely to fish enough to get good at it.   I was mid-30's then with a career and a family.  

He did not reckon on me finding shoals of maasbankers in Gonubie Bay for months on end.  They would take a small shad spoon on a slow retreive, and within 3 months I had is down well enough that I could contemplate taking the reel on a "proper" trip to Mbolompo, or some othere exotic spot. 

So it is not impossible to get good at this late in life.  You just need to want to, and have the opportunity to practice every couple of days for a bit. 

And yes - this is a very satisfying way to get a fish.   I love it when the glove starts to smoke and you get those train-lines in the leather.......

Bux

I just got my first KP (think its a 5") from a friend. Very excited about the prospect of getting a fish, be it bottom or from shore, in a one on one contest. Just have to put in the time to learn to cast it half decent without breaking a finger.

Andre Laas

Sealiner
I cannot commend on casting with a KP, but I have become very fond of the "bicycle wheel" KP's of the boat. In my mind nothing beats it..... well nothing that I can afford anyway. I recently hooked two hammerhead of just over a meter each on a Poseidon Geelbek and 10" KP.... best fights I have ever had. I would also love to learn to use them for spinning and drift-baiting.

I had a look at the Poseidon Flick Stick, and it looked like a rod tat can work great for this purpose. Anybody using this rod with a KP? Will it work off the beach?

tintin1

All - thaks for interest and request for photos.  Will attache to this post.  I have edited earlier article - look for the italics for the changes.  I have edited post because when I tried to get the photos I realised I was not setting it out quite as clearly as I could. 

A better camera with several frames per second would be a big help.  I did not have one when I had an assistant.  But for now they give some additional details. 

The tackle used is a light graphite stick with a 6" KP and a 12 kg line. I have put a big bung on the end of it all because you need to see where it is.  The bung is a nylon float with a 50g sinker in it.  A great casting tool by the way - similar to hitting a whiffle-ball in golf.

tintin1

Start by holding the reel like this to cast over left shoulder

Attachments

• Holding a KP to cast over left shoulder.jpg
    Holding a KP to cast over left shoulder.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 591

tintin1

The starting stance.  Rod and weight ready to throw (gently) forward.

Attachments

• Starting stance - rod ready to throw weight forward.jpg
    Starting stance - rod ready to throw weight forward.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 585

tintin1

Weight thrown forward to about 1 o'clock in plan and in vertical, and start of dragging it back.  Start this gently, smoothly.

When you get good, you put on some power at this point to build momentum against which you can push.  But to start with, just get the motion waxed.

Attachments

• start of drag back - weight coming down to horizontal.jpg
    start of drag back - weight coming down to horizontal.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 587

tintin1

Dragging this back - weight and rod at horizontal and still a bit to travel before starting forward push.  Note that it is all well- balanced and the reel-hand has not moved much.  Handles are facing up.

Attachments

• weight at horizontal, power dragging backwards.jpg
    weight at horizontal, power dragging backwards.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 583

tintin1

pushing froward against the momentum of the weight. 

This is not a heavy push, just a directional push.  You want to push the weight into the sky, not at the water.  You are changing the direction from horizontal circle towards the vertical, and need to get head out of the way.  the weight already has most of it's energy. 

Attachments

• weight now being pushed in final direction before release.jpg
    weight now being pushed in final direction before release.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 586

tintin1

weight released.  Note handles down at this stage

Attachments

• released - note reel attituce with handles down.jpg
    released - note reel attituce with handles down.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 583

Fanie

Sealiner
Ah Tin tin, those thin light reel cast a lot easier than the old heavy ones !

You made some good comments re the casting, a very wide swing to give the spool momentum and the most difficult probably is to quickly stop the spool.

During the cast you have to pull the knees in a bit so the sinker can pass through there, and those little handles that make KKKRRRRRR on knuckles... :-D

Can you imagine a peer packed with okes all armed with lekker slap rods and scarborough reels during a fish or rather angler frenzy... A very dangerous place...

'Coming through... !!'

tintin1

I've only once had the misfortune to be on the end of a rock when fish started running and the mob noticed.   All my regular fishing mates are right-shoulder casters, so all I do is take a few steps to the left, cast and move back.  

But ther are other ways of dealing with it.  What I did on my crowded rock is to shorten the drop a lot, go with a heavier weight and the cast becomes a lot like an overhead cast.  Roll the shoulders over with the rod starting behind you and you can still get a reasonable cast out.  When you get good with these scarbies, you can do a lot of non-standard things with your cast. 

Brandon257

This article was the final push for me to get a scarborough. I got a 6'' deluxe. Can't wait to get practicing the 'sezela sweep.

Attachments

• Photo0000.jpg
    Photo0000.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 308

Ben REINERS

Sealiner
Staff member
There are many threads wrt KP reels.....
Also check out.......
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=96150&forum_id=1&highlight=kp+fishing

tintin2

finally go around to lining up a mate with a camera and some time to video how the Sezela sweep works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdYwPgl8TyI

Foxhat

I don't think I'm old, just old school. Everybody I fish with fishes like this. Arrange a spinning morning off one of those points up Sheffield way and lets see which is better, old school or the coffee brigade.

Attachments

• Fence Garvies & Army base.jpg
    Fence Garvies & Army base.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 230

bassbug

i'm happy my sezela sweep is coming on nicely, thanks once again for teaching me a new cast.
::slr::
please, i would like to learn more, would like to launch a single prawn hehehe. i have read and heard others mentioning about this, can one realy cast such a ultra light weight? what cast would one use?
ps. i have a 4.5inch kp and 8/9weight fly rod, not sure if i'm on the right track but have heard before this was needed.

Ninja-Nic

Sealiner
bassbug wrote:
i'm happy my sezela sweep is coming on nicely, thanks once again for teaching me a new cast.
::slr::
please, i would like to learn more, would like to launch a single prawn hehehe. i have read and heard others mentioning about this, can one realy cast such a ultra light weight? what cast would one use?
ps. i have a 4.5inch kp and 8/9weight fly rod, not sure if i'm on the right track but have heard before this was needed.

I have a similar setup that i use for float fishing. no need to cast too far because your bait drifts. Works good for light bait ::tight: