BRISTOL KNOT

Enigma

With thanks to Def-E-Nition

He so kindly showed me that I was not using the Yucatan but in fact the Bristol.

Safely used with leaders up to 1.2mm and with some practice a Spider Hitch followed by a Bristol knot will ensure a safe and secure connection between leader and mainline within 25 seconds and which will provide 95% plus of original breaking strain.

Attachments

• Bristol.jpg
    Bristol.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,343

Enigma

Tie a simple Spider hitch . A BImini can also be made, but is time-consuming, and when tied properly, the spider hitch is sufficiently strong enough to form Knot 1, of the two Knots Required. I normally work with between .40mm-.55mm Mainline , and run a 0.8-1.2mm Shock leader.

For purposes of speed or when fishing in the bricks I'll use the Spider Hitch and when out to target giant's I'll still take the time to tie the knot with utmost care.

3 Loops around the Index finger or Thumb.

Starting the Spider Hitch

Attachments

• 07072010530.jpg
    07072010530.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,345

Enigma

Pull the mainline loop through the coil held between thumb and forefinger, lube and pull tight

Attachments

• 07072010532.jpg
    07072010532.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,345

Enigma

Pass 15-20cm of Leader through the center of the hitch.
With your index finger and thumb, pinch the leader and the end of the loop and then wrap the leader 4 to 6 times around the doubled line. With 1-1.2mm Leaders, 4 Is more than sufficient. I have tried More, and Less but 4 is the trick. More means you have to pull extremely hard to secure the knot and this may damage the hitch, less turns bunches the knot a little .

Attachments

• 07072010536.jpg
    07072010536.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,347

Enigma

Run the tag of the leader back between the leader and the double lines ,leaving about 3” of leader tag extending from the loop. The leader does not pass back through the doubled line loop itself but instead passes under the leader and above the double lines of the loop ( you used your Index finger to Keep this one Open – Now slide the Tag end through it)

Attachments

• 07072010539.jpg
    07072010539.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,340

Enigma

Holding the Spider Hitch in one hand and the shock In the other, pull the knot down tight by moistening and pulling both the leader and the single line portion of the running line.There is No need to hold the tag end, or pull on it. The key here, is to really pull it tight. Many people object to Knots where the leader ends 90 degrees to the mainline, but I have yet to have One Of My Knots Part at the Bristol - "As Quoted from Def-E-Nition". Fact .

Attachments

• 07072010540.jpg
    07072010540.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,340

Enigma

With special thanks to Def-E-Nition

aka

Stuart Atkinson

His further comments:

I would advise everyone to give this Knot a try , it is similar in character to spyker’s Knot , but the difference is that spyker’s Knot seems to work Better on the smaller diameter Lines , whereas I Even use the Bristol to tie up to 1.2 mm Leader’s onto My Mainline , and It is as strong enough to beat anything I’ve been able to Throw at it , and some of the Nunu’s were WAY bigger than I had anticipated . The Knot held up incredibly well